For those of you interested in pursuing maintenance of your websites in the university's centralized content management system (CMS), please note we are transitioning to a new platform and will resume integration and redesign projects at that time.
CMS access is provided as a courtesy of the Division of Information Services.
Beginning & Intermediate User Training, Office Hours
We hold training sessions once a month for new users, users wanting a refresher and those seeking more advanced knowledge. In addition, Web team offers weekly office hours for questions and individualized help.
Upcoming Training Dates
Beginner training is best for those who have never used CommonSpot. It's recommended that all new users attend one Beginner Training session. Be sure to also review the CommonSpot manual before attending.
In-Person Beginner Training: Tuesday, Nov. 5, 2013 - 10 a.m. - noon (Stewart Hall 103) - CLOSED
- In-Person Beginner Training: Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2013 - 3 - 5 p.m. (Stewart Hall 103)
- In-Person Beginner Training: Thursday, Jan. 8, 2014 - 2:30 - 4:30 p.m. (Stewart Hall 103)
- In-Person Beginner Training: Thursday, Feb. 20, 2014 - 3 - 5 p.m. (Stewart Hall 103)
In-Person Beginner Training: Wednesday, Mar. 5, 2014 - 3 - 5 p.m. (Stewart Hall 103)
In-Person Beginner Training: Monday, Apr. 14, 2014 - 3 - 5 p.m. (Stewart Hall 103)
In Person Beginner Training (2 Hours, In-Person):
- Intended for those who would like a guided, hands-on training experience - especially those who are not as experienced with web editing
- Introduction to Content Management, CommonSpot and Web Editing
- Basic Editing for Existing Pages - Overview (Tools: Text, Images, Publishing Pages)
- Basic Editing for Existing Pages - Hands On (Practice Website)
- Adding New Content and Pages - Overview (Tools: Bulleted Lists, Links, QuickLinks, Layouts)
- Adding New Content and Pages - Hands On (Practice Website)
- Setting Up Navigation and Subsites
- Next Steps for Your Website
Express Beginner Training (1 hour, Online):
- An expedited, completely-online version of Beginner Training
- Get started in CommonSpot quickly - especially if you have previous web editing experience
- Facilitator will demonstrate and explain CommonSpot page editing tools, creating new pages, setting up page navigation and basic CommonSpot features through audio and video
- Hands-on exercises are not provided in Express Beginner Training
There are no Express Training dates currently scheduled.
Beginner Drupal Training (2 Hours, In-Person)
These sessions are designed to train users as sites are being migrated into Drupal and are therefore by invitation only.
- Beginner Drupal: Tuesday, Mar. 11, 2014 - 9 - 11 a.m.
- Beginner Drupal: Wednesday, Mar. 26, 2014 - 1 - 3 p.m.
Intermediate Training is for users who are familiar with CommonSpot and have been making basic updates to their site already. Do not register for Intermediate Training unless you have already completed Beginner Training and have worked on your website for four months.
- Intermediate CommonSpot: Thursday, Oct. 24, 2013 - 3 - 5 p.m. (Stewart Hall 103)
- Intermediate CommonSpot: Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2013 - 10 a.m. - noon (Stewart Hall 103)
- Intermediate CommonSpot: Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2013 - 3 - 5 p.m. (Stewart Hall 103)
- Intermediate CommonSpot: Tuesday, Jan. 21, 2014 - 9 - 11 a.m. (Stewart Hall 103)
- Intermediate CommonSpot: Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2014 - 1 - 3 p.m. (Stewart Hall 103)
- Intermediate CommonSpot: Wednesday, Mar. 19, 2014 - 9 - 11 a.m. (Stewart Hall 103)
- Intermediate CommonSpot: Thursday, Apr. 24, 2014 - 9 - 11 a.m. (Stewart Hall 103)
Intermediate CommonSpot Training Covers:
- The Reusable Textblock element
- Web forms in CommonSpot
- The News element
- Faculty and staff profiles
Workshop: Leveraging the Power of Web Analytics, Web Monitoring and Content Strategy
Our newest training offering shares best practices for developing, executing and measuring digital marketing strategy. The workshop is a hands-on exploration of Siteimprove's Quality Assurance tool for locating broken links and misspellings and Google Analytics, the standard resource for measuring success on the Web.
The session begins with an examination of best practices, including content auditing and conversion tracking.
- Thursday, Sept. 26, 10 a.m.-noon
Get personalized help and training with two essential tools:
- Siteimprove monitors broken links, misspellings, and more.
- Google Analytics measures site activity, visitor demographics, and traffic sources.
Office hours are available for one-on-one, in-person help. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with a list of the topics that you need assistance with to schedule a time. If you have an issue that needs immediate attention, use the Support Request Form.
There are no office hours currently scheduled.