You are here
Cora E. Lewis, MD MSPH FACP FAHA
DOPM Associate Director for Research
Division of Preventive Medicine
Medical Towers 614
1717 11th Avenue South
Birmingham, Alabama 35205
Phone: (205) 934-6383
Fax: (205) 934-7959
An internist and epidemiologist, she has considerable experience in long-term epidemiologic studies and clinical trials, including expertise in recruitment and retention in large, long-term studies, measures of body composition and bone density, population surveys, disease outcomes, lifestyle assessments, imaging in the context of large studies and epidemiologic methodology.
- University of Alabama at Birmingham,MSPH, 1990
- Intern & Resident, Internal Medicine, Indiana University Medical Center, 1987
- Indiana University School of Medicine, MD, 1984
- University of Miami, BS, 1980
- Lee CG, Boyko EJ, Strotmeyer ES, Lewis CE, Cawthon PM, Hoffman AR, Everson-Rose SA, Barrett-Connor E, Orwoll E. Association between Insulin resistance and lean mass loss and fat mass gain in older men without diabetes mellitus. J Am Geriatr Soc 2011; 59(7):1217-24
- Chen Z, Qi L, Beck T, Robbins J, Wu G, Lewis CE, Cauley JA, Wright NC, Seldin MF. Stronger bone correlates with African admixture in African American women. JBMR 2011; 26(9):2307-16
- Zhu N, Jacobs DR, Jr, Sidney S, Sternfeld B, Carnethon M, Lewis CE, Shay CM, Sood A, Bouchard C. Fat mass modifies the association of fat-free mass with symptom limited treadmill duration in the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults Study.Am J Clin Nut 2011; 94(2):385-91
- LaCroix AZ, Chlebowski RT, Manson JE, Aragaki AK, Johnson KC, Matin L, Margolis KL, Stefanick ML, Brzyski R, Curb JD, Howard BV, Lewis CE, Wactawski-Wende J for the WHI Investigators. Health Risk and Benefits 5 Years after Stopping Randomized Treatment with the WHI Trial of Conjugated Equine Estrogens in Postmenopausal Women with Prior Hysterectomy. JAMA 2011; 305:1305-14.
- Boone-Heinonen J, Diez Roux AV, Kiefe CI, Lewis CE, Guilkey DK, Gordon-Larsen P. Neighborhood socioeconomic status predictors of physical activity through young to middle adulthood: the CARDIA study. Soc Sci Med 2011; 72(5):641-9.
- Foy CG, Lewis CE, Hairston KG, Miller GD, Lang W, Jakicic JM, Rejeski WJ, Ribisl PM, Walkup MP, Wagenknecht LE; Look AHEAD Research Group. Intensive lifestyle intervention improves physical function among obese adults with knee pain: findings for the Look AHEAD trial. Obesity (Silver Springs) 2011; 19(1):83-93
- Scherzer R, Shen W, Heymsfield SB, Lewis CE, Kotler D, Punyanitya M, Bacchetti P, Shlipak MG, Grunfeld C, for the FRAM Study. Intermuscular Adipose Tissue and Metabolic Associations in HIV Infection. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2011: 19(2):283-91
- Wagenknecht LE, Divers J, Bertoni AG, Langfeld CE, Carr JJ, Bowden DW, Elbein SC, Shea S, Lewis CE, Freeman BI. Correlates of Coronary Artery Calcified Plaque in Blacks and Whites with Type 2 Diabetes. Ann Epidemiol 2011; 21:34-41.
- Levine DA, Lewis CE, Williams OD, Safford MM, Liu K, Calhoun DA, Kim Y, Jacobs DR, Jr., Kiefe CI. Geographic and demographic variability in 20-Year hypertension incidence: the CARDIA Study. Hypertension 2011; 57(1):39-47.
- Look AHEAD Research Group, Wing RR. Long-term Effects of a lifestyle intervention on weight and cardiovascular risk factors in individuals with Type 2 diabetes mellitus: four-year results of the Look AHEAD trial. Arch Intern Med 2010; 170(17):1566-75
- Grunfeld C, Saag M, Cofrancesco J, Lewis CE, Kronmal R, Heymsfield S, Tien PC, Bacchetti P, Shlipak M, Scherzer R, for the FRAM Study. Regional Adipose Tissue Measured by MRI Over Five Years in HIV-Infected and Control Subjects Indicates Persistence of HIV-Associated Lipoatrophy. AIDS 2010; 24(11):1717-26.
- White D, Keyser J, Lavalley M, Lewis CE, Toner J, Nevitt M, Felson D. Clinically important improvements in function common in people with or at high risk of knee OA, the MOST study. J Rheumatol 2010; 37(6):1244-51.
- Gunderson E, Jacobs D, Jr., Chiang V, Lewis CE, Feng J, Quesenberry C, Jr, Sidney S. Duration of Lactation and Incidence of the Metabolic Syndrome in Women of Reproductive Age According to Gestational Diabetes Mellitus Status: A 20-Year Prospective Study in CARDIA - the CARDIA Study. Diabetes 2010; 59(2):495-504.
- Heymsfield SB, Scherzer R, Pietrobelli A, Lewis CE, Grunfeld C. BMI as a phenotypic expression of adiposity: quantitative contribution of muscularity in a population based sample. Int J Obesity 2009; 33:1363-73.
- Neogi T, Felson D, Niu J, Nevitt M, Lewis CE, Aliabadi P, Sack B, Torner J, Bradley L, Zhang Y. Association between Radiographic Features of Knee OA and Pain: results from two cohort studies. BMJ 2009; 339:b2844.
Lewis CE, McTigue KN, Burke LE, Poirier P, Eckel RH, Howard BV, Allison DB, Kumanyika S, Pi-Sunyer X. Mortality, Health Outcomes, and BMI in the Overweight Range, A. Science Advisory from the AHA. Circulation 2009; 119(25): 3263-71.
- Berry JD, Liu K, Folsom AR, Lewis CE, Carr JJ, Polak JF, Shea S, Sidney S, O’Leary DH, Chan C, Lloyd-Jones DM. Prevalence and Progression of Subclinical Atherosclerosis in Younger Adults with Low Short-Term but High Lifetime Estimated Risk for CVD the CARDIA and MESA. Circulation 2009; 119:382-9
- Kumanyika SK, Obarzanek E, Stettler N, Bell R, Field AE, Fortmann SP, Franklin BA, Gillman MW, Lewis CE, Poston WC, Stevens, Hong Y. AHA Scientific Statement Population-Based Prevention of Obesity The Need for Comprehensive Promotion of Healthful Eating, Physical Activity & Energy Balance, A Scientific Statement from AHA Council on Epidemiology and Prevention, Interdisciplinary Committee for Prevention (Formerly Expert Panel on Population & Prevention Science) Circulation 2008; 118:428-64.
- Robbins J, Aragaki A, Kooperberg C, Watts N, Wactawski-Wende J, Jackson B, LeBoff MS, Lewis CE, Chen Z, Stefanick ML, Cauley J. Factors Associated with Five Year Risk of Hip Fracture in Postmenopausal Women: From the WHI. JAMA 2007; 298(20):2389-98.
- Mackey DC, Liu LY, Cawthon PM, Bauer DC, Nevitt MC, Cauley JA, Hillier TA, Lewis CE, Barrett-Connor E, Cummings SF. High-Trauma Fractures and Low Bone Mineral Density in Older Women and Men. JAMA 2007; 298(20):2381-88. PMID: 18042915
- Bibbins-Domingo K, Pletcher MJ, Lin F, Vittinghoff E, Gardin JM, Arynchyn A, Lewis CE, Williams OD, Hulley SB. Racial differences in incident heart failure among young adults. NEJM 2009; 360(12):1179-90.