The Abuse Prevention Law, Massachusetts General Law, Chap. 209A, was enacted to help keep a victim from being abused. It applies to “family and household members.” Family members are defined as parents, siblings, or relationships by marriage. Household members are defined as roommates, or individuals living in the same residence. The law also protects parties who are in a substantial dating relationship with one another.

Process for Requesting an Abuse Prevention Order:

  • If you are being abused, contact the Northeastern University Police Department by dialing 617.373.2121
  • An officer will escort you to a local court and assist you in obtaining the Prevention Order.
  • If an order is issued by the courts, the police will serve the order to the abuser.
  • In normal circumstances, the case will be continued for 10 business days, at which time the defendant will have an opportunity give testimony.
  • After hearing testimony, the judge will either extend or vacate the order.

Process for Requesting a Harassment Order:

  • The Harassment Prevention Order, Massachusetts GeneralLaw 258E, fills a critical gap in the law to protect victims of criminal harassment, stalking, or sexual assault from being harassed repeatedly regardless of their relationship with the perpetrator. If you are a victim of harassment, contact the Northeastern University Police immediately for assistance or your local police where you live. To learn more, see the resources and links below.

What if it is an Emergency?

  • If you need immediate protection from your abuser and are in imminent danger contact the Northeastern University Police immediately by dialing 617.373.3333 or if off-campus in Boston call 617.343.4911. If you are outside of Boston call 911. If a protection order is required after hours, the police will contact an on call judge and request an emergency restraining order be issued. That order is only valid unil the next business at a local court.

What if the Order is Violated?

  • Violation of an Abuse Prevention Order is a crime. If your abuser violates the order call the police immediately.

Leaving an Abusive Relationship:

  • Remember, leaving a violent relationship can be very difficult and dangerous.
  • Make sure you have a safety plan in place.
  • Know ahead of time a safe place you can go to in an emergency. The police will assist you


On Campus

Northeastern University Police    617.373.2121   
Emergency Line    617.373.3333   
University Health & Counseling – VISION    617.373.2772   
We Care     617.373.4384   
Office of Institutional Diversity and Equity   125 Richards HallTitle IX Coordinator    617.373.2133   

Hospital Resources

New England Baptist Urgent Care    617.754.5533   
Beth Israel Deaconess Med. Ctr.    617.667.3337   
Beth Israel Rape Crisis Intervention    617.667.4645   
Boston Medical Center    617.534.4075   
Brigham and Women’s Hospital    617.732.5636   
Cambridge Health Alliance    617.665.1429   
Haven at Massachusetts General Hospital    617.724.0054   

Women’s Shelters

Casa Myrna Vazquez    800.992.2600   
Coalition for Battered Women    617.248.0922   
Harbor COV    617.884.9909   
Renewal House    617.566.6881   
Respond    617.623.5900   
Transition House    617.661.7203   

Other Resources

Boston Police Emergency    617.343.4911   
Child at Risk Hotline    800.792.5200   
CPASA (Community Program Against Sexual Assault) Servicing Women – Multi-cultural / Bilingual    617.442.6300   
Disabled Abuse Hotline    800.426.6300   
Elder Abuse Hotline    800.922.2275   
Fenway Community Health Center Servicing Gay Men and Women    617.267.0900   
Greater Boston legal Services    617.623.5900   
Network for Battered Lesbians    617.424.8611   
Teen Dating Violence Intervention    617.868.8328