Accuracy, objectivity, and reliability are some of the strengths of an encyclopedia. The World Book Online Reference Center includes the famous World Book Encyclopedia but it also has many more features that make it a great starting point for your research. Not only will you get a good outline of your topic but there is a research guide and a citation builder to help you organize all of the information you have collected from here and other sources.
Some of the features you can use:
- How to Do Research. This is a guide that shows you how to plan and conduct research, how to evaluate sources and organize your data, and how to present your work.
- Citation Builder. Just fill in the form with the information from your source and the Citation Builder will format the information in MLA, APA, or Harvard formats.
- Primary Sources. Sometimes it can be very difficult to find primary sources. World Book Online Reference Center has several hundred thousand primary source documents.
- My Research. Students can save and organize their work in custom folders.
- E-book Center. There are thousands of fiction and non fiction books that you can read with your browser.
World Book also has other specialized databases that you can explore:
- World Book Info Finder is a general purpose multimedia encyclopedia.
- Early World of Learning is for preschoolers and early elementary students.
- World Book Discover is for middle school and older students who are reading below grade level.
- World Book Kids is for older children and their teachers.
- World Book Spanish Student Discovery is for early grade Spanish speakers.
- World Book Gran Enciclopedia Hispánica is a comprehensive multimedia encyclopedia in Spanish.
Another great resource for research papers is the Writing a Research Paper LibGuide.
Available with your library card and PIN from all library computers and from your home or office computer. For more information about applying for a library card, visit Get Your Card.