University Mass Email Procedures
University of South Alabama faculty, staff and students may use the University-wide mass email system to communicate with the University community on matters of official University business. The Office of Marketing and Communications reviews and distributes all mass emails submitted during regular business hours. Emails should be sent to the appropriate mass email system address a minimum of two business days before the desired distribution date.
University mass email messages are distributed once each weekday evening through the Daily Digest. Employees and students who prefer to receive individual email messages which will arrive at varying times of day may opt out of the Daily Digest at https://jagmail.southalabama.edu/digest.aspx. Emails addressing issues of safety and other high priority items will still be sent individually regardless of your Daily Digest setting.
Emails can be sent to the following lists by using the corresponding addresses: (Note: Please continue to use the “usouthal” domain name as listed below.)
Faculty & Staff Lists:
All faculty and staff firstname.lastname@example.org
Faculty only email@example.com
Non-medical faculty only firstname.lastname@example.org
Faculty/staff except hospitals email@example.com
College of Allied Health firstname.lastname@example.org
Allied Health Faculty email@example.com
College of Medicine (COM) firstname.lastname@example.org
COM faculty only email@example.com
COM physicians only firstname.lastname@example.org
COM basic scientists email@example.com
College of Arts & Sciences faculty firstname.lastname@example.org
All hospital employees email@example.com
All non-faculty except hospitals and COM firstname.lastname@example.org
College of Nursing email@example.com
Division of Health Sciences (Colleges of Medicine, Nursing, & Allied Health Professions) firstname.lastname@example.org
All faculty/staff except medical residents email@example.com
Enrolled students firstname.lastname@example.org
- Type the exact address for each list you wish to email, and type a brief, meaningful subject in the “Subject” block.
- Type your message in the “Message” block exactly as you want it to appear. Do not include personal notes such as “Please post this…”
- The University-wide email system is designed to use HTML formatting. However, messages composed in word processing (such as Microsoft Word) or other applications outside an email program may contain extraneous characters that are not processed correctly by email programs. To ensure proper formatting, avoid cutting and pasting directly from word processing applications. Instead, first paste your message into Notepad (or some other text-only editing package) and then copy or cut the text from Notepad and paste it into the email message block.
- Ensure that all pertinent information (who, what, when, where, contact phone/email, etc.) is included in your message, and send the message using the email account you want readers to reply to (or specifically denote a reply-to address).
- Emails should not be used to promote non-USA affiliated events.
- Emails that include surveys must first be sent to http://www.southalabama.edu/departments/institutionaleffectiveness/surveyrequests.html for review. You will be notified when a survey has been approved.
- Do not include attachments. Please include all information in the body of the email, or you can include a link (URL) to a Web page. The link should be in the following form: http://servername/filepathname. If you place the link at the end of a sentence, please include a space before the trailing period to prevent readers from interpreting the period as part of the link. If you need assistance with a Web page, contact Web Services at (251) 460-6161.
- Carefully proofread your message for errors before sending.
- You will receive a return email message confirming receipt of your email.
If you have questions, please call the Office of Marketing and Communications at (251) 460-6211.