Next Steps for New Freshmen
Welcome to Kent State University at Stark!Follow these steps to become a student at Kent State Stark:
1. COMPLETE PLACEMENT TESTING
English & Reading Placement
As a new freshman, your English composition and reading course placements will be determined by your ACT subscores in those areas. No additional testing is required for English and reading if you have current ACT scores.
However, if any of the following apply to you:
- Your ACT test was taken more than three years ago;
- You never took the ACT;
- You weren't required to submit the ACT as part of your admission requirements;
You will need to go to the Academic Success Center to take placement testing in English composition and reading. Visit Testing Services for more information.
ALEKS Math Placement - REQUIRED
All new students are required to take the online ALEKS math placement assessment, which will determine your math course placement. The ALEKS math placement assessment is taken through FlashLine and can be taken at home or in the Academic Success Center if you choose. ALEKS should take 60-90 minutes to complete.
2. MEET WITH AN ACADEMIC ADVISOROnce your placement assessments are completed, you will need to meet with an academic advisor to determine your course schedule. During your advising appointment, your advisor will discuss your English composition, reading and math course placements, review Kent Core requirements and explain your major requirements. Appointments can be made online or you can call 330-244-3251.
3. REGISTER YOUR CLASSESAfter you meet with an academic advisor, you will be able to register for your classes through FlashLine. Your advisor will give you instructions on how to do this at your advising appointment.
4. PAY YOUR TUITIONTo view tuition and payment deadlines, go to FlashLine > My Account > My Student Account. Tuition invoices are emailed to your Kent State email address. Invoices are not mailed to your home address.
- View your financial aid awards in FlashLine > My Account > My Student Account