CLEP (College-Level Examination Program) testing
The College-Level Examination Program® (CLEP) gives students the opportunity to earn college credit through testing for knowledge acquired through independent study, prior course work, on-the-job training, professional development, cultural pursuits, or internships.
Most CLEP exams are 90 minutes and multiple choice, except the College Composition exam which is 120 minutes and requires essays. Subject exams may only be taken once every six months. The College Board will nullify results of tests taken more frequently.
Register for a CLEP Exam and Schedule Test Date
Pre-register and submit separate payments for each test as follows:
- FIRST STEP: Register and pay for an exam at the My Account Portal. This registration provides you with a payment receipt and a TICKET ID. Once you have your TICKET ID, you are ready to schedule your test date.
SECOND STEP: Obtain a registration form and schedule your date by phoning 330-675-8802. Mail your completed registration form and registration fee of $35 (check or money order) per test to:
Kent State University at Trumbull
c/o Academic Services
4314 Mahoning Avenue NW
Warren, OH 44483-1998
Payment is non-refundable and non-transferable. Confirmation of registration and payment will be emailed to the address provided on the registration form.
Identification Required on Test Day
Students must present their CLEP TICKET ID and TWO forms of identification in order to be admitted to a CLEP testing room. All funded military candidates must present a current military ID and a second form of government-issued ID.
1) Acceptable Primary ID's (original, government-issued photo ID with signature) are:
- Current state-issued driver's license
- Current passport
- Current state-issued ID card
- Tribal ID card
- Naturalization card or certificate of citizenship
2) Acceptable Secondary ID's (with photo or signature) are:
- Current student ID Card
- Unused ID from the primary choices above
- Original social security card
- Military ID
Score Reports and Receiving Credit
CLEP examination results are available immediately after the test via a candidate score report (except College Composition due to essay scoring which may take up to four weeks). Check this score report and the KSU cut-off to determine if you will receive credit.
- The score report will be submitted to the Transfer Center for inclusion with your official academic record. Any credit earned will be posted to your transcript as credit hours, without a grade. No indication will be made on your transcript for non-passing scores.
- CLEP credit earned will not be posted to your Kent State academic record until after you have enrolled in coursework at Kent State University.
- Students who take CLEP exams at another institution must request that their scores be sent to Kent State in order for credit to be posted to their transcript.
Questions? Contact the Kent State Trumbull Learning Center at 330-675-8868.