ALEKS Online Math Placement Assessment
SOAR - ALEKS Online Math Placement Assessment
Before making a reservation for SOAR, all new students must take the ALEKS online math placement assessment.
The math placement is administered online and you can take it from home. However, if you would prefer to take this assessment on campus, you may do so in the Computer Cyber Café on the second floor of Founders Hall on Tuesdays between the hours of 6 p.m. - 9 p.m. and Fridays from 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Follow the steps below to complete the math placement assessment:
IMAGE: Step 1
To log into Flashline for the first time, click on the FlashLine Login at the top right of your screen.
Your FlashLine User Name and Kent State ID Number are listed on your Welcome Letter.
Your initial password consists of information that only you know.
The format for your initial 10-character password is: mmmyyxxxxx (all lower case)
1. mmm = the first three letters of your birth month (ex. April = apr)
2. yy = the last two digits of your birth year
3. xxxxx = the last five digits of your Kent State ID Number
Name: Jack V. Student
User Name: Jstudent
Date of Birth: June 7, 1933
Kent State ID Number: 810060733
Initial Password: jun3360733
After logging in, you will be prompted to change your password. Your new password must be comprised of at least eight characters, using a combination of upper and lower case letters and numbers. Note that your FlashLine password is case sensitive. Remember your new password!
IMAGE: Step 2
- Once logged into FlashLine, select "Student Tools & Courses" from the main menu.
- To the right, you will see a Placement Assessment block.
IMAGE: ALEKS Screen Cap
- You are required to take the ALEKS Math Placement only.
- Contact ALEKS Support (below) if you have problems accessing the math placement.
- The math placement assessment should take 60-90 minutes to complete.
- Your placement results will be discussed with you at SOAR.
- If you would prefer to take this assessment on campus, you may do so in the Computer Cybe Café located on the second floor of Founders Hall on the following days/times:
Tuesdays between the hours of 6 - 9 p.m.
Fridays between the hours of 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
The use of ALEKS requires installation of the ALEKS plug-in. The plug-in should install on your computer automatically the first time you access the ALEKS site. If you have trouble installing the plug-in, visit www.aleks.com/faqs/technical link below.
ALEKS Technical Support FAQs:
Email via: support.aleks.com
Optional Foreign Language Placement
If you are planning to major in a foreign language, or think you might take a foreign language class during your first semester, you are welcome to take the foreign language placement now. Your placement will be discussed with you at SOAR. This is not required but will be helpful should you need to take a foreign language course during your first semester.
IMAGE: Step 3
- Now that you've completed the online math placement assessment, you can make your reservation for SOAR.
Take me to the online SOAR Reservation form.
2013 SOAR Reservations
You must be admitted to Kent State Tuscarawas and have all the items on your Dynamic Student Check list completed.
You must be a new first-year student. Transfer students can schedule an advising appointment by calling 330-339-3391.
- You must have taken the ALEKS Math Placement Assessment as instructed in your Welcome Letter.