The UAB Immersive Experience Lab (IXL) is home to a cross-functional team of developers and artists researching the application of immersive artificial experience to the problems of learning, visualization, communication, and performance improvement. Founded in 2002 as the Enabling Technology Laboratory (ETLab), we have wide experience in development of high-performance computing, scientific visualization, and medical visualization projects.
IXL develops virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR), and mixed-reality (MR) software and content for large-scale multi-wall immersive virtual reality systems, head-mounted virtual and augmented reality systems, workstations, laptops, tablets, mobile phones, and embedded or custom equipment.
As a unit of the School of Engineering in the Engineering and Innovative Technology Development group, we provide our services to departments University-wide as well as to business, nonprofit, and government entities.
In the News
- Immersion Learning: Virtual Reality Training for the Real World
- Tomorrow land: UAB engineering lab explores the future of tech, teaching
- 4-wall immersive walk-in VR system
- High-precision ultrasonic body tracking
Immersive Head-Mounted Displays
- Microsoft HoloLens
- Oculus Rift & Oculus DK2
- Google Glass
- Rockwell-Collins, Sony, Zeiss, etc.
- Custom wireless body sensors
- Android Wear
- Konica-Minolta Vivid 9i laser scanner
- Intersense IS-900 ultrasonic trackers
- Ascension Flock of Birds
- 5DT data gloves
- ...lots more
For more information or to schedule a tour, please email:
1150 10th Ave S
Birmingham, AL 35205