A new optical coherence tomography system that captures 3-D images of the eye is one of the new technologies installed in the renovated Callahan Eye Hospital emergency department and Lions Eye Clinic that opens July 31.
Other changes include improved wheelchair accessibility and technology such as LENSTAR LS 900® A-scan and a Pentacam® to enhance diagnostic capabilities.
Callahan Eye Hospital is the only 24-hour, seven-day-a-week, eye-emergency center in Alabama.
Most promising lab discoveries never make it to patients. One major reason is the so-called valley of death that lies between basic science research and the applied work pursued by drug companies. But a partnership between UAB and Southern Research Institute is bridging that gap. The Alabama Drug Discovery Alliance provides funding, support and advice to investigators such as Andrew West, Ph.D., who is pursuing a new way to treat Parkinson's disease. After years of work, backed by strong philanthropic support, "we're most of the way through the valley of death now," West says.
- 7 THINGS TO KNOW FOR THE WEEK JULY 27-Aug. 2
- ASC presents Boz Scaggs Aug. 14
- UAB Collat School of Business to offer CPAs chance to earn continuing education credits Aug. 15, Sept. 12
- UAB Athletics, Blazer Boosters host 2014 Kickoff Concert Aug. 16
- U.S. premiere of Earfilms' "To Sleep To Dream" at ASC Aug. 19-22
- UAB Campus Calendar
- Submit an event