Microsoft Office 365 FAQ
The University of Kentucky has partnered with Microsoft to offer Microsoft Office 365 to UK students! Microsoft Office 365 provides additional cloud-based tools that students can use for educational, business, and personal tasks.
Read on for a list of frequently asked questions about Microsoft Office 365 at UK!
- What is Microsoft Office 365?
- Why is the university offering Microsoft Office 365?
- Can both employees and students use Microsoft Office 365?
- Can students have both Microsoft Office 365 and Google Apps for Education accounts?
- Are there any restrictions on using Microsoft Office 365?
- Can I opt out of Microsoft Office 365?
- How can I use Microsoft Office 365?
- What tools are available with a Microsoft Office 365 account?
- What's the difference between a Microsoft Office 365 Account and a Hotmail Account?
- What's the difference between a UK Microsoft Office 365 account and a regular Hotmail account?
- What if I already have a non-UK Microsoft Account or SkyDrive Account?
- Are there any technical requirements for using Microsoft Office 365?
- How do I change my Microsoft Office 365 account password? Is it the same as my link blue password?
- Does my Microsoft Office 365 account password expire?
- What happens to my Microsoft Office 365 account if I graduate or leave UK?
- Where can I learn more and get support for Microsoft Office 365?
- I want a Microsoft Office 365 Account! Where do I sign up?
- I already have a Microsoft Office 365 Account! Where do I log in?
Microsoft is currently offering educational institutions hosting for email, calendars, and other productivity tools through Microsoft Office 365, an integrated communication and collaboration solution.
This product enables UK to provide students with UK-branded, advertising-free access to a variety of popular cloud-based tools at a low cost to the university.
No. At this time, Microsoft Office 365 is only available for students.
Yes, current students may have one Microsoft Office 365 and one Google Apps account simultaneously, but email sent to a student's university email address can only be routed to one email service at a time.
Yes. Microsoft Office 365 may be used only for materials and information not covered by HIPAA, FERPA, PHI or other similar regulations.
Departments with student employees who work with materials and information covered by HIPAA, FERPA, PHI or other similar regulations may request university-hosted Exchange accounts for those employees. For more information or to request an Exchange account for a student employee, contact the APAT Service Desk.
Creation and use of a Microsoft Office 365 account is completely voluntary. You are free to stop using your Microsoft Office 365 account whenever you wish.
If you set up email forwarding and you no longer wish to have UK email delivered to your UK Office 365 mailbox, you can change your preferred mail delivery address via the UK Account Manager. Please make sure that your university email is sent to an address that you check regularly, or you may miss important notifications from UK.
There are lots of ways to use Microsoft Office 365 for education, work, or personal productivity! For inspiration and examples, visit Microsoft Office 365!
Microsoft Office 365 includes access to email, calendar and contacts. Additional tools and services are available through Microsoft, signup for a personal SkyDrive account here.
A Microsoft Office 365 Account can be used to access a variety of Microsoft apps and services, including Hotmail, from a single unified profile. A Hotmail account is simply an email account provided by Microsoft. When you activate your UK-branded Microsoft Office 365 account, you automatically receive access to a UK-branded Hotmail account as well.
UK Hotmail accounts are branded with our uky.edu domain and users are not presented with advertising while using them.
No problem! Creating a UK Microsoft Office 365 account will not affect your existing personal Hotmail or SkyDrive accounts. Your Microsoft Office 365 account simply provides the benefits of using Hotmail and other Microsoft tools in an ad-free environment.
If you wish, you can forward mail between your UK Hotmail account and other email accounts you may have. However, if you forward UK email to another account, email sent from that account will not display uky.edu branding. Email forwarding preferences can be set via the UK Account Manager.
Most Microsoft Office 365 tools simply require a computer or mobile device with an internet connection and a current web browser. However, not all features of each tool may be available on all platforms/browsers. For more details, check the Help manual for the product you are interested in using.
How do I change my Microsoft Office 365 account password? Is it the same as my link blue password?
No. Because Microsoft Office 365 is a hosted service, you will have a separate userID and password for your Office 365 account. You can, however, use the UK Account Manager to change or reset your Office 365 account password. Simply log in with your link blue credentials and click the "Change" link beside UK Microsoft Office 365.
Yes, Microsoft Office 365 account passwords do have a timed expiration period, although the time period is set to 720 days. You will receive a notification when your password will expire. We do suggest that users change them periodically for security. Because the accounts are separate, changing your Office 365 account password will NOT affect your link blue password and vice versa.
At this time, students may keep their UK Microsoft Office 365 account indefinitely after graduating or leaving UK.
To access your Office 365 account go to http://www.uky.edu/live and enter in your full email address (i.e., firstname.lastname@example.org) along with your Live@edu password.