Cisco VPN: Reason 442
Knowledge Based Article:
Cisco VPN: Reason 442 > Failed to enable Virtual Adapter
- Software: Cisco VPN
- Operating System: Windows 7/8 (32 bit/64 bit)
When trying to connect to the campus network with the Cisco VPN Client software and you receive the follow error message “Secure VPN Connection Terminated locally by the Client. Reason 442: Failed to enable Virtual Adapter”. This is a common error that is caused by a registry error. The Service Desk recommends that you do the following:
- Uninstall Cisco VPN software by going to the Control Panel > Uninstall programs > Cisco Systems VPN Client and choose to uninstall.
- Reboot your machine
- Re-Download and install the Cisco VPN.
If this issue persists, you may need to manually correct the registry key.
Warning: Proceed with caution! Any changes to the registry could cause the system to fail! If you do not feel comfortable editing your system’s registry, please take your machine to reputable computer repair company or your departmental desktop support person.
- Run or search for the term “REGEDIT” for the Registry Editor
- Locate the key at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CVirta
- Modify the DisplayName value for
- 32 bit machines: Cisco Systems VPN Adapter
- 64 bit machines: Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows
- Reboot your machine.
Once you make the changes, you should be to connect to campus with the Cisco VPN Client
APAT Service Desk