Job Title Research Associate - Battery Program
Department Energy Institute
Date Posted 02/29/12
Closing Date Until Filled
FLSA Status Exempt
Compensation Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Position Description and Duties
Conducts academic research in connection with CUNY programs; may assist faculty, staff, and students in conducting research and lead research efforts involving others.
- Develops research plans and proposals and participates in acquiring funding
- Collects, analyzes, and assures validity of data
- Writes progress reports; writes and publishes findings
- Collaborates with internal and external colleagues
- Adheres to standards for safety and hygiene and ethical conduct as defined by the University and relevant outside parties
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
In addition to the General Duties, this position will also:
- Direct and manage a scaled-up battery R&D&D (research, development, and demonstration) project throughout its life cycle.
- Assist the Energy Institute Director with resource allocation for research projects.
- Act as the technical link between a research team of scientists involved in fundamental research and an engineering team in charge of applied, application-driven development.
- Track project milestones and deliverables.
- Liaise with and communicate to team members and stakeholders project expectations in a timely and clear fashion.
- Develop and deliver quarterly technical progress reports required by the supporting grant requirements, future grant proposals, and presentations.
- Assess the need for additional staff and/or consultants and make recommendations.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.Qualifications and Requirements
Doctoral Degree in a related field and demonstrated research ability.
The Battery Program Research Associate position requires a self-motivated individual who can effectively lead a technology group and influence cross-functional teams to achieve and implement grant requirements. In addition to a Doctoral Degree in a related field, a Bachelor of Science or a graduate degree in engineering (mechanical, chemical, or electrical) with at least 5 years of experience preferred; solid working knowledge of electrochemical systems, such as large-scale batteries or fuel-cells is greatly sought-after.
The ideal candidate will have:
- At least 2 years of direct work experience in a project management capacity
- Excellent familiarity with project management software, such as Microsoft Project, OpenProj, OmniPlan, LiquidPlanner, etc.
- Strong interpersonal skills necessary to work effectively with communication styles of team members and contractors who come from a wide-ranging spectrum of disciplines and cultural backgrounds
- Been equally effective at working independently and in team-oriented, collaborative environments.
- Flexibility during times of change and conform to shifting priorities, demands, and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities; ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment is crucial
- Demonstrated experience in personnel and conflict management
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- A persuasive, encouraging, and motivating personality
If you are viewing this job posting in CUNYFirst, please click on "Apply Now" on the bottom of this page and follow the instructions.
If you are viewing this job posting externally, please apply as follows:
- Go to www.cuny.edu and click on "Employment"
- Click "Search job listings"
- Click on "More search options"
- Search by Job Opening ID number
- Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions.