Job Title Research Associate - Institute for Ultrafast Spectroscopy and Lasers
Date Posted 02/13/13
Closing Date Until Filled
Position Detail Open until filled, with the review of applications to begin 02/21/2013.
FLSA Status Exempt
Compensation Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Position Description and Duties
The Institute for Ultrafast Spectroscopy and Lasers has a distinguished record of innovation and performing spectroscopy research in the areas of physics, engineering, material science and the biological sciences. The research associate will carry out independent research work as well as collaborate with other researchers studying beams with orbital angular momentum. The researcher will study devices used to generate orbital angular momentum for applications in spectroscopy, telecommunications and other areas of fundamental and applied physics. The researcher may also study other areas of spectroscopy on solid state materials, gasses and the biological sciences.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.Qualifications and Requirements
Ph.D. or equivalent in Applied Physics, Engineering, Physics or related field. Experience performing detailed studies of a device used to generate orbital angular momentum, and performed spectroscopy. The successful candidate will have outstanding research, publications, presentations, and academic accomplishments.
The ideal candidate should:
- have excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- be able to work independently and under the general direction of the IUSL Director.
- have experience in developing computer programs.
- be detail-oriented with a positive attitude towards learning new procedures and new theories and methods.
If you are viewing this job posting in CUNYFirst, please click on "Apply Now" on the bottom of this page and follow the instructions.
If you are viewing this job posting externally, please apply as follows:
- Go to www.cuny.edu and click on "Employment"
- Click "Search job listings"
- Click on "More search options"
- Search by Job Opening ID number
- Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions.
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST UPLOAD A COVER LETTER AND RESUME AS ONE DOCUMENT IN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING FORMATS: doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format.