Profile of CCNY
The City College of New York was originally located at 23rd Street and Lexington Avenue in Manhattan. In 1907 the College moved to its present location on St. Nicholas Heights in Northern Manhattan. The campus occupies 35 acres along Convent Avenue from 131st Street to 141st Street.
The Landmark neo-Gothic buildings of the North Campus Quadrangle were designed by the noted architect George Browne Post. They are superb examples of English Perpendicular Gothic style and are among the first buildings, as an entire campus, to be built in the U.S. in this style. Groundbreaking for the Gothic Quadrangle buildings took place in 1903. Five of the buildings opened in 1908. The sixth, Goethals Hall, was completed in 1930. The buildings feature 600 grotesques custom designed to represent the practical and the fine arts.
The North Campus Quadrangle also includes four great arches on the main avenues leading to the campus: the Hudson Gate on Amsterdam Avenue, the George Washington Gate at 138th Street and Convent Avenue, the Alexander Hamilton Gate at the northern edge of Convent Avenue and the Peter Stuyvesant Gate at St. Nicholas Terrace.
In 1981 the New York Landmarks Preservation Commission dedicated as a Landmark the North Campus Quadrangle buildings, and the College Gates. In 1984 the Quadrangle buildings were placed on the State and National Register of Historic Places.
Open the original version of this page.