Encourage the appreciation and writing of poetry at all levels of education,
including "special education" classes in the New York City public schools.
A focus on general literacy is necessary for such appreciation.
- Present workshops in public schools.
- Publicly read and listen to the poetry created by public school
students on Festival Day.
- Maintain a continuity for interested alumni in the literary activities
and outreach efforts of CCNY.
- Maintain a written record of these activities through Poetry
- Reach out through the art of poetry to various NYC community centers.
- Maintain ties with professional poetry institutions such as the Poetry
Society of America, Poets House, Teachers & Writers Collaborative,
and The Poetry Center of the 92nd Street Y.
* Please note that Knopf/Random House provides funding for our high school
winners on a yearly basis.