Skip Navigation
Phone directory
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

Frequently Asked Questions

IMAGE: Sculpture Near Kent Hall
FAQ's about the Undergraduate Program

Q: How do I declare a major or minor in psychology?
A: To declare psychology as a major, go to FLASHLINE, and under STUDENT TOOLS, go to the Graduation Planning System (GPS) Box. Click on the Undergraduate Change of Program button.

Q: How can I pick a faculty advisor? Which faculty members do this?
A: All full time, tenure track faculty in the Psychology Department serve as advisors for undergraduates. In order to be assigned to a faculty advisor, please contact the Undergraduate Psychology Advisor (Room 142 Kent Hall), by phone (330-672-2912), or by e-mail (

Q: I have a question about the major requirements. Who can help with this?
A: The staff in the Undergraduate Psychology Office (see above for contact information) can explain the requirements. You can also contact your faculty advisor.

Q: I'm not sure what I want to do after I graduate. I might want to work, or go to graduate school. Who can give me career advice?
A: You can contact the Undergraduate Psychology Advisor, your faculty advisor, and/or Career Services Center.

Q: I wanted to enroll in undergraduate research, but my request was rejected. How do I enroll?
A: Undergraduate research courses (PSYC 31498 and 41498) are controlled registration courses. To sign up, you must first find a faculty member who agrees to allow you to work in his or her lab. You and the faculty member must then fill out paperwork (available in the Psychology main office), and a staff member in the main office will enroll you once the paperwork is completed.

Q: Some of the courses in psychology sound similar to courses offered in other departments. Can I substitute other courses for the psychology major or minor requirements?
A: Usually the answer is no, because the university explicitly tries to make sure that courses offered in different departments are not identical. Any requests for course substitutions should be directed to the Psychology Undergraduate Coordinator ( Joel Hughes).

Q: The Psychology Writing course (PSYC 41990) requires permission to register. How do I get permission?
The writing intensive course requirement in psychology is a one credit hour required course that is recommend to be taken in the same semester as Research Methods. There is limited enrollment in each section, so it is best not to wait until your last semester to try and schedule the writing intensive course. To register you must visit the Psychology main office (Room 144 Kent Hall).

Q: I'm a psychology major, but I already took a writing intensive course in another department. Do I still need to take the psychology writing intensive course?
A: A psychology major who has completed a writing intensive course in another department can often get the department writing intensive course requirement waived, but it depends on the nature of the writing intensive course already completed. Even if the requirement is waived, the student must still complete 30 hours in psychology. Contact the Undergraduate Coordinator if you want to request a waiver for writing intensive.

Q: I'm a student in General Psychology and I have questions about the research participation requirement and/or my subject pool points. Who do I need to contact?
A: Information about the research participation requirement is on your syllabus for General Psychology. Contact your General Psychology instructor for information about the requirement. Contact the Subject Pool Manager at if you have questions or concerns about your subject pool points.

Assistive Options

Top of page

Assistive Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a Usablenet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.