Skip Navigation
Phone directory
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

Research Experience

IMAGE: In the research lab.

Research Experience in the Biotechnology Major:


Students may  gain firsthand experience working in biotechnology through an internship experience with a company or another academic institution during the academic year or during the summer.  Internships are established by the student who identifies the internship partner.  Internship announcements are posted in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry and the Department of Biological Sciences.  However, students will need to actively seek positions on their own. 

Summer internships are also available throughout the country.  Some co-ops are paid internships that provide a stipend and room-and-board in a multiple-week summer session. Support is provided by the academic institution or grants from scientific organizations or from the National Institutes of Health or the National Science Foundation.

Excellent information about co-ops and internships is provided by thefollowing:


Students may who work with faculty mentors at Kent State Univeristy to develop a specific, extensive research project. A research experience is an important component of the interdisciplinary biotechnology degree program. Students have opportunities to pursue research projects and gain experience working with state-of-the-art instrumentation under the guidance of members of the faculty. This experience is invaluable in the intellectual development of a student and in their subsequent search for technical positions in industrial, medical or government and university research laboratories. 


Students who are members of the Honors College may perform undergraduate research and prepare and defend an honors thesis. The Senior Honors Thesis is an independent research project that may be an option for those students who wish to graduate with Honors from Kent State University. The research project is generally under the direction of a mentor in the Department of Biological Sciences or Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry and students must register through the Honor's College.

Please select one of the following for resources on finding a resource mentor or application forms:

Advice for finding a research mentor.

Application form and instructions for BTEC 40196, Individual Investigations in Biotechnology.

Application form and instructions for BTEC40192, Internship in Biotechnology.
Text Only Options

Top of page

Text Only Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a UsableNet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.