Skip Navigation
Phone directory
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I schedule an advising appointment?

Click on " Make an Advising Appointment" link on the Home page of this website

(Web address) or from the GPS channel in FlashLine

Q: I have questions about reading my KAPS report or GPS Report?

This can always be discussed in an advising appointment.

If you are using KAPS (catalog year 2009 or older) Green means completed, Red means still needed.

If you are using GPS (catalog 2010 or beyond) please visit:

FlashLine > Student Tools & Courses tab > Graduation Planning System (GPS) > GPS/FAQ & Tutorials

Q: Where can I find a copy of my requirement sheet/Roadmap?

Check in the advising office 334 Franklin

Roadmaps can also be found on FlashLine > Student Tools and Course Tab > Graduation Planning System (GPS) > Roadmaps

Q: When do I Register for classes?

You can always view the Resources Tab in this website.

Registration dates are based on the number of completed credit hours (look at your transcript, KAPS or GPS report).

Log into FlashLine > Student Tools and Courses tab

Under Registration & Class Tools click on "View Entry Schedules" (a new window will pop up)

Under " Priority Preregistration Entry Schedules" click on the semester you are wanted to register for.

Q: I am trying to register for a class but the computer says ERROR (prerequisite required/major restriction/etc).

Go to the department that is in charge of the class. For example, math classes (Math dept.), Microeconomics class (Economics dept.). You can find any department's contact information in the KSU Directory on FlashLine.

If it is a JMC course contact your assigned advisor or 330-672-8293.

Q: I was told to put myself on the wait of a class, how do I do this?

If there is a waitlist, to get on it, you have to type the CRN in at the bottom of the add/drop page and submit. It will tell you that the section is full with a waitlist, pick waitlist from the dropdown and submit again. It should then show up in the list with your other classes, but it will say "Web Waitlisted" instead of web registered. If there is not a waitlist, you will have to keep checking FlashLine to see if a seat does open.

Q: How do I change my program (major/concentration, certificate or minor)?

Always make an appointment with an Advisor

To make changes to your program you can do it online, log into FlashLine, > Student Tools and Courses tab > Graduation Planning System (GPS) > Undergraduate Change of Program

Q: Where do I find contact information for JMC Faculty and Staff

Please visit the JMC website and on the bottom of this link find the faculty &staff directory and adjunct faculty directory.

Q: How can I take classes at the school back home?

Transient Work: If you are a current Kent State student planning to take courses at another institution as a guest or transient student be sure to follow these steps.

1.       Check out to see how your classes transfer to KSU.  You can either log in as a guest to see one to one course equivalencies or create an account to run unofficial degree audits.

2.       Visit and get program Roadmaps for KSU majors, minors and certificates.

3.       Meet with an academic advisor in your college and complete the Undergraduate Application for Transient Work at Another College or University. (You can email an advisor and request the form but you will need to have an advisor sign off on the form)

4.       When you finish the course, be sure to have an official transcript sent to the KSU Admissions Office.

Q: I am a Transfer student, how can I get some of my questions answered?

If you are just admitted to Kent or are planning on attending Kent, You can contact the Transfer Center at or call 330 672-8950.

If you would like to meet with an advisor in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication please make an appointment at (website) and answer YES to the follow question,

"Are you an incoming TRANSFER student registering for your first semester at Kent State Main Campus? (If admitted within the past week, please bring copies of unofficial transcripts to advising appointment)"

Did not find the answer to your question? Check out the Resource Tab of this website and/or please contact your Advisor @ 330-672-8293.

Text Only Options

Top of page

Text Only Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a UsableNet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.