Skip Navigation
Phone directory
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).



Most undergraduate students find that their academic success at Kent State University will be directly related to high school preparation. A carefully chosen college preparatory curriculum should develop the basic knowledge and skills which all students, regardless of major, will need at Kent State.

Kent State University recommends the following curriculum to students planning to pursue a bachelor’s degree. These courses are also endorsed by the State Board of Education and the admission offices of the other four-year state-supported universities in Ohio.

The minimum core for college preparation in Ohio:

  • 4 units of English
  • 3 units of mathematics
  • 3 units of science
  • 3 units of social studies
  • 2 units of foreign language
  • 1 unit of the arts


The Post-Secondary Enrollment Option Program (PSEOP), offered through Undergraduate Studies, is designed for high school students wishing to take university courses prior to graduating from high school. It is offered on each Kent State campus. Upon graduation from high school, PSEOP students can apply for admission as freshmen by submitting an application and fee, high school transcript and ACT or SAT scores to the Kent State Admissions Office. Kent State University degrees earned by PSEOP students are not posted to the Kent State University academic transcript until the term subsequent to high school graduation. For more information about this program, see the Undergraduate Studies section of this catalog. GO TO TOP


Students desiring admission to an undergraduate division of the university should submit the appropriate application materials to the Admissions Office. Students should arrange to have all necessary high school and college transcripts sent directly to the Admissions Office from each institution previously attended. All credentials submitted for admission become the property of the university and are not returnable or transferable.The university reserves the right to change, without notice, any admissions procedures described in this Catalog.

Freshmen Students: Students who have not attended any other educational institution after graduating from high school should apply to be admitted as freshmen.

Application Procedures: Prospective freshman students can apply by submitting an application form, application fee and required academic credentials to the Admissions Office. Students can submit an electronic application on the Admissions Office website or call the office at 330-672-2444 for a paper form.

The Admissions Office must receive a non-refundable application fee and a high school transcript before processing the application. A personal interview is not required for admission; however, applicants are encouraged to arrange both an interview with an admissions counselor and a campus visit by contacting the Admissions Office. GO TO TOP

Required Credentials: Freshmen entering Kent State must submit a high school transcript and American College Test (ACT) or Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) scores. Kent State requires that students take the writing section of the ACT. Students are excused from this test score requirement only if they have been graduated from high school for three or more years or if they are 21 or older at the time of their first enrollment. These test scores are essential in determining students’ admission status and academic aptitudes; assisting in academic advising; and helping to determine scholarship eligibility.

ACT or SAT scores should be reported to Kent State University directly from the testing agency. Students should use the following ACT codes based on the campus to which they plan to be admitted:

  • Ashtabula: 3773
  • East Liverpool: 3225
  • Geauga: 3224
  • Kent: 3284 (SAT: 1367)
  • Salem: 3354
  • Stark: 3226
  • Trumbull: 3343
  • Tuscarawas: 3361

A final high school transcript verifying graduation or a GED certificate/score report is required for both enrollment and financial aid at Kent State University.

Admission Requirements at the Kent Campus: Kent State University’s freshman admission policy differentiates among students with varying degrees of preparation for college studies. The students most likely to be admitted and succeed at the Kent Campus are those who will have graduated with at least 16 units of the recommended college preparatory curriculum in high school, who have achieved a minimum high school 2.50 grade point average, and whose composite ACT score is 21 or better (combined SAT score of 980 in critical reading and math).

Students who do not meet the above criteria but who have graduated with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.20 (on a scale of 4.00) at a chartered or accredited high school or have passed the General Educational Development (GED) Examinations may be admitted. High school course selection, class rank, recommendations and ACT/SAT scores will be closely examined for such students in making admissions decisions.

The university affirmatively strives to provide educational opportunities and access to students with varied backgrounds, those with special talents and adult students who graduated from high school three or more years ago.

Ohio residents and other applicants not offered admission at the Kent Campus may request that the Admissions Office forward their application for consideration at one of the seven Regional Campuses of Kent State University.

Admission Requirements at the Regional Campuses: Admission to the Regional Campuses is handled through the Admissions Office at any of the seven Regional Campuses. Admission is open to anyone with a high school diploma or its equivalent. Part-time early admission opportunities are available for qualified high school students in consultation with an advisor. In programs with special admission requirements, admission decisions and judgments are made by the director of the program following normal faculty consultative procedures, and take into account factors such as life experience, level of motivation and concern for under-represented groups in the program, as well as such indicators as GPA or ACT score. Each Regional Campus has staff members available to discuss admissions, financial aid opportunities and programs with prospective students.

Registration dates, times, procedures and access methods are similar to those of the Kent Campus. Registration information at a particular campus can be obtained from that campus. Because the seven Regional Campuses and the Kent Campus comprise one university system, access and mobility among the campuses is encouraged and facilitated. Even so, there are some differences between the Kent Campus and the Regional Campuses in freshman and transfer admission requirements.

Kent Campus Referrals: Freshman admission eligibility at the Kent Campus is based upon an applicant’s cumulative high school GPA and, in some cases, standardized test scores and the college preparatory curriculum. Students not meeting the freshman admission criteria for the Kent Campus who wish to enter the Kent State University system must enroll for at least one semester at a Regional Campus. Enrollment at the Regional Campuses permits students to take advantage of smaller class sizes, more individualized advising services and a wider range of developmental programs.

For the deferred freshman or transfer student who enrolls at a Regional Campus to obtain the best possible foundation for academic success, it is recommended that the student complete the following minimum academic achievements before enrolling at the Kent Campus:

  1. Successfully complete any developmental coursework as prescribed by an academic advisor.
  2. Successfully complete 12 semester hours of coursework.
  3. Achieve a minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA.

Students are strongly encouraged to work closely with their academic advisor in planning for the transition to the Kent Campus

Special Admission Areas: Freshmen must meet specific requirements to enter several academic programs and academic units at Kent State. Such selective policies exist for students desiring admission to Aeronautics, Architecture, Communication Studies, Education, Health, and Human Services, Fashion Design, Fashion Merchandising, Interior Design, Journalism and Mass Communication, Music, Theatre and Dance, Nursing and the Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine (six-year medical program). Individual requirements for these programs are listed under the respective departments in this catalog.

Students interested in these special admission areas should apply one year prior to the date of anticipated enrollment. Even though some of these programs do not have an early application deadline for fall semester, students who apply early will receive priority consideration. Specific questions about these areas can be directed to the Admissions Office or the individual departments/schools.

Application Deadlines: Completed applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until the class is determined to be full. The following deadlines exist for some special admission areas:

  • Architecture Program (fall): January 31
  • Six-Year Medical Program (early action): October 1
  • Six-Year Medical Program (regular notification): December 15

An admission to Kent State University is valid only for the specific term to which students are first admitted. Students who do not enroll in the term to which they were admitted must submit a new application. The Admissions Office will then determine the students’ admissibility for that term.

Destination Kent State: Advising and Registration: For six weeks, beginning in June, admitted Kent Campus freshmen for the fall semester and their parents are invited to campus for a one-and-a-half day orientation to Kent State. The primary goals of Destination Kent State: Advising and Registration are to acquaint students and parents with university programs and services; provide an individual advising session for each student; and register students for fall classes. New fall-semester freshmen are invited to campus to participate in this program. New spring-semester freshmen are invited for academic advising and registration for spring classes in January. GO TO TOP


Applicants are expected to submit evidence of scholarly accomplishment in previous undergraduate and graduate work if undertaken. This may be accomplished in part by having achieved an undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 on a 4.0 point scale, although some departments may require a higher minimum GPA. At the graduate level, a minimum 3.0 GPA is expected. In all cases, the GPA is only one of several measures used to determine admission. Additional considerations are letters of recommendation, scores on standardized tests and other indices of ability to do graduate-level work. Students with below a 2.75 GPA will be considered for conditional admission on an individual basis. Admission in such cases will depend heavily on other indices of the student’s ability to handle graduate-level work. These might include strong performance on standardized tests, GPA in the major and/or experiences subsequent to matriculation that are clearly indicative of strong academic ability. Evidence of holding a bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university must be included.

Students who hold degrees from non-accredited institutions may be admitted under conditions that are determined in each individual case and which ordinarily include the necessity of further undergraduate work.

Grade Point Average Calculation: To be considered for admission to graduate study at Kent State University, students must have official transcripts from each college or university previously attended (8 credit hours or more) sent to the admitting office. The cumulative GPA is calculated using the final grades from all previous undergraduate and post-undergraduate academic work.

Application Procedures:

  1. Consult this catalog for admission procedures for the college or independent school offering the degree program.
  2. Submit either an online or paper application form, non-refundable application fee and required academic credentials to the Admissions Office. For programs in the College of Architecture and Environmental Design, the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of the Arts, the College of Communication and Information, the College of Technology, and the College of Nursing, forms may be obtained from the Division of Graduate Studies, Office of Graduate Admissions, Cartwright Hall. For programs in the College of Education, Health and Human Services, applications may be obtained from the the college's Office of Student Services, 418 White Hall. Applications for programs in the College of Business Administration may be obtained from the Graduate School of Management, Room 310A, Business Administration Building.
  3. Submit an application at least six weeks before the start of the semester of first coursework. Some programs may have much earlier deadlines. Check individual departments or schools in this catalog for other deadlines and further information.
  4. Have official transcripts from each college or university previously attended sent to the appropriate admitting office. Please consult the instructions contained in the application for admission for submission of official transcripts. Applicants need not submit transcripts of work completed at Kent State University.
  5. Consult this catalog to determine if any additional supporting materials, such as a standard examination, are needed for admission to the program. Commonly required examinations include the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT), and the Miller Analogies Test (MAT).

Incomplete application materials will be kept for a period of one year only. After that time materials will be destroyed. Students interested in admission after one year will need to reapply. GO TO TOP


Persons who have attended any other educational institution after graduating from high school must apply as undergraduate transfer students.

Application Procedures: Prospective transfer students are encouraged to apply before their junior year in college. Students applying just prior to, or after, the junior year must declare a major and a minor (if required) and should consult with the appropriate academic division concerning the suitability of their preparation for their major.

Required Credentials: To complete their application, transfer students must submit the following to the Admissions Office:

  1. A transfer application form and a non-refundable application fee.
  2. An official transcript from each post-secondary institution attended. These transcripts must be sent directly from the previous institutions to the Admissions Office, Kent State University, P.O. Box 5190, Kent, OH 44242-0001.
  3. A final high school transcript from the following students:
    1. Applicants with fewer than 12 semester hours of non-remedial credit earned at other colleges or universities.
    2. Applicants who, for special reasons, are asked by the Admissions Office to submit a high school transcript.
  4. Official results of the ACT or the SAT. Test results are not required of the following applicants:
    1. Are 21 or older at the time of their first enrollment.
    2. Have successfully completed 12 or more semester credit hours of non-remedial college coursework.
    3. Have graduated from high school three or more years prior to application.
  5. Verification of high school graduation for financial aid purposes.

An interview may, in some cases, also be required by the Admissions Office.

It is required that applicants list on the application each institution attended after high school, whether or not credit was earned, and forward separate transcripts from each of these institutions. Questions regarding these requirements should be directed to the Admissions Office prior to application. Failure to comply with these requirements represents falsification of the application and will result in appropriate disciplinary action.

Admission Requirements: Generally, transfer applicants who have taken at least 12 semester hours with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.00 as computed by Kent State University (on a scale of 4.00) may be admitted to the university. Applicants who have taken fewer than 12 semester hours will be evaluated on both their collegiate and high school records. Applicants who have been dismissed from another college or university will not be considered for admission unless the students are eligible to return to that previous institution, have been out of college at least 12 consecutive months since the dismissal, or have completed at least 12 semester hours of credit at another institution with a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or better (on a scale of 4.00).

Selective Admissions: Transfer students are not directly admitted into the following programs unless they meet specific requirements beyond those for acceptance to Kent State:

  • Aeronautics
  • Architecture
  • Art
  • General Studies
  • Business
  • Dance
  • Education
  • Fashion Design
  • Fashion Merchandising
  • Interior Design
  • Music
  • Nursing
  • Speech Pathology and Audiology
  • Theatre
Individual requirements for these programs are listed under the respective colleges in this Catalog. Students interested in these selective admissions areas should apply one year prior to the date of anticipated enrollment. Specific questions about these areas can be directed to the Admissions Office or the individual departments/schools.

Application Deadlines: Transfer applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Early application helps ensure early consideration for course registration, residence hall preference and financial aid. Therefore, the best time to apply is at least six months prior to anticipated enrollment. The admissions application deadline for Architecture (for both summer and fall) is May 1. Please see the College of Architecture and Environmental Design in this catalog for further admission details.

An admission to Kent State University is valid only for the specific term to which the students were first admitted. Students who do not enroll in the term to which they were admitted must submit a new application. The Admissions Office will then determine the students’ admissibility for that term.

Transfer Credit Evaluation: An official evaluation of transfer credit will not be completed until students have been admitted to the university and have submitted official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions previously attended. Generally, only those non-remedial courses in which students have earned a minimum C (2.00) grade at an accredited school (as determined by the Transfer Center) will be considered for transfer. However, transfer credit earned fall 2005 and later from a regionally accredited Ohio college or university will be awarded for all non-remedial courses in which students have earned a minimum D (1.00) grade. Effective fall 2010, upper-division and lower-division credits are awarded for transfer based upon the level of course to which they are equated at Kent State. Once the Transfer Center has determined which courses are transferable, the college office that houses the student’s major determines the applicability of these courses toward the desired degree. Some majors may require students to earn higher grades in specific courses or requirements. Students transferring to these majors will be held to the required grade and GPA standards.

Students who have attended schools that are not regionally accredited or that are not candidates for such accreditation are not granted credit by the Transfer Center for work completed there. The students’ college office, however, may grant such credit at its discretion. Although the evaluation of a student’s performance at a non-accredited institution is considered in the admissions decision, any work completed at an accredited institution takes precedence.

Kent State accepts a maximum of 11 semester hours (or 16 quarter hours) of correspondence work from an accredited institution. This work does not count toward the final year of required work in residence. GO TO TOP


A maximum of 12 semester credits hours from accredited institutions offering the master's degree may be accepted for transfer towards a master's degree. A master’s degree and 12 semester credit hours (or maximum 44 semester hours of graduate credit) from accredited institutions may be accepted for transfer towards a doctoral degree.

In both instances, the following must occur:

  1. Graduate credit was received from that institution.
  2. The work was of B (3.0) grade or better quality
  3. The work fits into the student’s program at Kent State
  4. Credit is less than six years old for a master's degree and less than nine years old for a doctorate at the time the degree is conferred at Kent State.
  5. An official transcript with an accompanying explanatory letter is filed in the department.
  6. The student’s advisor, department graduate committee and college dean approve.

An “accredited” institution is one that is approved or accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting agency (e.g., North Central Association of Colleges and Schools) for graduate-level work. GO TO TOP


A Kent State University student who has achieved either a minimum 3.5 GPA after 60 semester hours, 3.4 GPA after 75 semester hours, 3.3 GPA after 90 semester hours or 3.2 GPA after 105 semester hours may apply for early admission to a master’s degree program by:

  1. Completing the Application for Admission.
  2. Completing the Combined Baccalaureate and Master’s Program form, which includes:
    1. Listing of courses at the undergraduate level that need to be taken for the baccalaureate.
    2. Beginning date for graduate study.
    3. Listing of graduate courses to be utilized in satisfying the undergraduate degree. (In participating departments/schools, students may apply up to 12 of their accumulated graduate hours toward the completion of their undergraduate degree requirements as well. The student’s undergraduate department will determine the undergraduate coursework for which graduate credits may be substituted.) In some departments, graduate coursework may be substituted only for elective undergraduate coursework and cannot be used as substitution within the major. Please check with the departmental graduate coordinator. The selection of the graduate coursework and the number of credits to be applied toward an undergraduate degree requires the approval of the chair in the student’s academic department and the appropriate undergraduate and graduate deans.
  3. Providing three letters of recommendation from instructors who are familiar with the student’s achievements and intended academic goals.
  4. Submitting any needed test scores from standardized examinations.


Students pursuing a degree at another institution may apply as transient students to Kent State. Such students must be in good standing. Transient undergraduate students must possess a minimum 2.00 (on a scale of 4.00) GPA to be eligible for admission. The transient permission form must be certified in writing by the registrar or college dean of the institution where the students are enrolled. Graduate students may obtain a Transient Student Application Form on the Graduate Studies forms website. Transient status is for one semester only. Students wishing to attend more than one semester must reapply. Returning transient students must be in good academic standing at Kent State. A non-refundable $10 transient student fee will be assessed for each transient admission. An ID card may be obtained through the FLASHcard Office in the Kent Student Center.

Transient International Visiting Graduate Students: Students who are in good standing in a graduate degree program at a university abroad may be admitted as transient students at Kent State University to take coursework that may apply to their degree program.

Steps for approval:

  1. Completion of the International Transient Visiting Graduate Form and processing through the Office of International Admissions Office, 106 Van Campen Hall.
  2. Submission of a request letter from the advisor at the home institution certifying that the student is in good standing, and a letter of acceptance from a Kent State faculty member.
  3. Approval by the department/school graduate program committee and by the college dean.

International transient students are allowed to work using Kent State facilities for maximum 12 months. Students may also register for research hours or for regular courses not to exceed a total of 12 credit hours over the visiting period. Tuition will be paid by students' home institution or by a Kent State grant. Students will be identified as full-time. GO TO TOP


Admission as a guest student enables students to take a limited number of courses for credit. To be admitted in this category, undergraduate students must have graduated from high school, obtained a GED certificate or achieved the equivalent; and graduate students must have earned a bachelor's degree. Guest students typically take courses for job achievement, personal enrichment or other reasons. Students pursuing a degree at another institution may apply as a guest student.

Guest students may remain in this status until no more than 18 semester hours at the undergraduate level or 6 semester hours at the graduate level of Kent State University credit have been attempted. Students cannot earn a degree in this admission status. Guest students who wish to pursue a degree program or continue after 18 semester hours (undergraduate) or 6 semester hours (graduate) have been attempted must apply for regular admission. Credit hours taken in this status may apply to a degree program with the approval of the college dean. Guest students must meet all prerequisites for courses (or obtain permission of the instructor). Graduate guest students must also obtain approval from the corresponding program coordinator. Individuals who have been denied admission to or are under dismissal from Kent State are not eligible for guest student status. Guest students are not eligible for financial aid. GO TO TOP


Former Kent State University students who withdrew from or left the university in good standing, or who left on academic probation and in the interim have not attended another post-secondary institution do not need to apply for readmission. These students should contact the Office of the University Registrar for current enrollment and registration procedures. Students who have attended another institution since leaving Kent State will be required to apply for admission as transfer students, submit official transcripts and pay the non-refundable application fee. For information concerning former students who have been dismissed from the university, see Dismissal and Reinstatement Policy in the Requirements for Graduation section of this Catalog.

The Center for Adult and Veteran Services provides general advising/counseling, information, referrals and assistance for all undergraduate groups of students if they meet the “adult student” criteria. GO TO TOP


Adult undergraduate students are those whose primary life roles and responsibilities exist independent of the university and, in times of crises or stress, take precedence over the role of student. This will include those students who wish to take a majority of their classes after 5 p.m. and/or on weekends. Prospective and admitted students who meet this criteria should contact the Center for Adult and Veteran Services for counseling and help with procedures.

Undergraduate students who are 21 years or older and will have been graduated from high school for three or more years at the time of their first college enrollment are considered freshman adult students. Students fitting these criteria and who have earned a GED with a comprehensive score of at least 265 and whose high school class will have been graduated for three years or more at the time of the applicant’s first enrollment are also classified as adult students. Adult students who have earned previous credits at any post-secondary institution are considered transfer students. Official transcripts from each school attended must be provided for admission consideration. For adult students who have completed 12 or more semester hours of transferable college credit elsewhere, a high school transcript is not required. (See required credentials in the Transfer Students section, above.) GO TO TOP


Kent State welcomes applications from home-schooled students. Students who are home-schooled may submit an equivalent diploma through a successful General Educational Development (GED) examination and an ACT/SAT* score, or submit the following information for admission consideration:

  1. Written verification from the appropriate school district that the student has been excused from compulsory attendance for home education
  2. ACT or SAT* score.
  3. A portfolio of the student’s work reflecting all secondary coursework completed

Students should complete a program of study that covers the material in the full college preparatory program recommended by the Ohio State Board of Education. Non-Ohio students should submit appropriate supporting documents as required by their home state. Please contact the Office of Admissions for further details.

* Since Kent State Regional Campuses do not require ACT/SAT scores for admission, this requirement may be waived by the appropriate campus. GO TO TOP


Applicants who are not citizens of the United States or currently maintaining immigration status in the United States as a Legal Permanent Resident, Refugee or Asylee must apply as international students. International students who wish to enter Kent State University should allow six months from the date of initial correspondence to the beginning date of classes to complete the application process. This will generally ensure enough time for international applicants to obtain a student visa and make international travel arrangements.

All international applicants (both undergraduate and graduate) must submit the following application materials to the Office of International Affairs:

  1. A special international application form and a $60 non-refundable fee.The application may be completed online or a paper application sent to the Office of International Affairs, Kent State University, 106 Van Campen Hall, 625 Loop Road, Kent OH 44242-0001 U.S.A
  2. A complete and official educational record, certificate, diplomas and degrees, either issued or attested to by the institution attended. All documents must be certified and bear the seal of the endorser; unofficial photocopies are not acceptable. In addition, all documents must be accompanied by literal English translations.
  3. Evidence of English-language proficiency as described in the application for admission. Applicants whose native language is not English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and have an official test result submitted to Kent State University. Full information concerning this test is sent with application materials. All arrangements for taking the TOEFL or having additional score reports sent to institutions should be directed to the Test of English as a Foreign Language, Educational Testing Service, Box 899, Princeton, NJ 08540, U.S.A.
  4. An affidavit of support accompanied by a financial statement. This statement serves as a notification to Kent State University of the source and amount of funds available to a student during his/her period of stay in the United States, and must accompany every application for admission. The “Certificate of Eligibility” will not be issued until Kent State University has sufficient evidence of financial support for the applicant’s entire period of study.
  5. Information about other criteria for admission will be forwarded with the application forms.

International students wishing to attend one of the Regional Campuses must apply and be admitted through the Office of International Affairs on the Kent Campus. All enrolled international students must apply and pay for the student group accident and health insurance policy provided by the university. Information about the student group accident and health insurance policy is available from University Health Services.

The Office of International Affairs provides pre-arrival information, a comprehensive orientation program and immigration services for international students admitted to Kent State University.

See the Transient Student Policy, above, for international students desiring transient status at Kent State. GO TO TOP


Those who have received a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university other than Kent State University and who wish to take undergraduate courses at Kent State may apply as post-undergraduate students. Kent State graduates who have taken coursework elsewhere since leaving Kent State are also considered post-undergraduates. Baccalaureate graduates of Kent State University who have not attempted subsequent college work do not need to reapply to the university but do need to declare their intent to the Office of the University Registrar. Typically, post-undergraduate students take undergraduate courses to pursue an additional baccalaureate, to prepare for graduate school or to enrich themselves.

A post-undergraduate application form is available online on the Admissions website. Kent State requires a non-refundable application fee and an official transcript from the college or university where the baccalaureate was earned. Students seeking a second undergraduate degree must also submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. GO TO TOP


Students having professional or personal obligations that preclude attending Kent State during traditional weekday hours can attend classes during evenings, weekends or a combination of both. It is possible to work toward a degree by attending during the evening hours. Students should contact the academic departments/schools regarding availability of specific evening-degree programs. Students intending to enroll in evening/weekend classes should complete the admissions application, submit an official high school transcript (if they are new freshmen or transfer students with fewer than 12 hours of transfer credit) and official transcripts from all post-secondary schools previously attended. A non-refundable application fee is also required. Pre-admission advising is available through the Center for Adult and Veteran Services. GO TO TOP


Admission as a special non-degree student enables students to take a limited number of courses for credit (either full time or part time). Students in this category are generally not seeking a degree, but wish to take courses for job achievement, personal enrichment, intellectual curiosity or other personal reasons. Special non-degree students may apply to Kent State for any semester through the Office of Admissions. Undergraduate adult students may apply through the Center for Adult and Veteran Services. A non-refundable $40 application fee is required. Admission is based on the same criteria detailed above for undergraduate, graduate or transfer students, whichever is appropriate.

Undergraduate special non-degree students may remain in this special status for one academic year or until a maximum of 45 semester hours of credit is earned. Should special non-degree students wish to pursue a degree program, they may, prior to or upon earning 45 semester hours, apply to any undergraduate division of the university. Admission to a degree program, however, is based upon the admissions requirements established by each academic department or school.

Graduate non-degree students must have official transcripts from each college or university previously attended (except Kent State University) sent to the Division of Graduate Studies, Office of Graduate Admissions, Kent State University, P.O. Box 5190, Kent, OH 44242-0001. They should submit the application a least six weeks prior to the start of the semester in which they plan to begin their work. Application deadlines vary across programs. Applicants should check individual departments or schools for deadlines and further information.

Students who are taking graduate certificate programs should apply as a non-degree student, unless they are already in a concurrent degree program. Maximum 12 semester hours of such credit may be petitioned to satisfy requirements of a degree program. Such a petition must receive approval of the department/school and the college dean. Note that only 6 semester credit hours can be transferred in some departments/schools graduate programs. Non-degree students may not transfer credit earned at another university.

Persons who have earned a graduate degree from an accredited institution may be admitted as graduate non-degree students, subject to departmental approval, after making application and filing evidence of such degree with the appropriate college or independent school.

In order to retain active status, graduate non-degree students must register for coursework within two years after the admission date. Admission of students who do not register within two years will be inactivated. Reapplication must be made if the students desire to register for coursework at this time. Once registered, graduate non-degree students may continue to take courses for six years. Six years after the first registration, non-degree students will be inactivated and must reapply for admission if continued registration in graduate coursework at Kent State University is desired. Anyone who has been denied admission to graduate studies, or is under dismissal from the University, is not eligible for graduate non-degree student status.

All fees, deadlines and performance standards for degree students apply to non-degree students. GO TO TOP


In rare instances, a person who has not completed a baccalaureate will be considered for admission to graduate school due to unusual and exemplary experiential learning. Such an applicant may apply for admission by presenting for departmental consideration a curricular plan encompassing undergraduate and graduate coursework to achieve a liberal educational background and professional graduate degree and three letters of recommendation attesting to the applicant’s potential for graduate study. Upon departmental recommendation and the approval of the college dean, the applicant will be admitted to undertake graduate work. Upon successful completion of the curricular plan and the particular master’s degree requirements, the student will be awarded the master’s degree. GO TO TOP


Ohio veterans of the Armed Services who did not graduate from an accredited high school and who are 21 years of age or older will be considered by Kent State University if they have passed the General Educational Development (GED) examination. Certain training courses provided in the Armed Services may be acceptable for college credit. Certificates of completion for such courses should be submitted to the Office of Admissions for consideration. Veterans may also seek assistance with pre-admission counseling through the Center for Adult and Veteran Services. GO TO TOP


The Office of Continuing and Distance Education, in cooperation with academic departments, offers a variety of credit workshops. These workshops are especially designed to meet identified needs of various professions. Each workshop is set up to recognize the needs of the audience in terms of time, place, format and content.

A student holding a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and who has been accepted by a workshop director for a specified workshop, institute or other special program offering graduate credit may be admitted as a special non-degree workshop student for the term of the workshop only. Prerequisites for admission are set by the instructional department. The temporary admission is valid for only one workshop consisting of a maximum of 12 semester hours. Students desiring to take other non-workshop graduate courses concurrently with the workshop or to do graduate work beyond the length of the workshop term must apply for admission to the appropriate college or school under regular procedures. A student may reapply for subsequent workshop participation under workshop admission regulations.

A maximum of 4 semester credit hours earned in graduate workshops may be applied to a graduate degree program. All workshops are graded S/U (satisfactory/unsatisfactory). Some departments may be more restrictive. Students are advised to consult their departments regarding application of workshop credit toward degree requirements. GO TO TOP

Assistive Options

Top of page

Assistive Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a Usablenet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.