Skip Navigation
Phone directory
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

General Academic Policies


The university has established the following Catalog rights and exclusions relating to degree requirements. While these Catalog rights establish specific degree requirements for students, the exclusions noted ensure that the knowledge and skills acquired by students will be current with the state of knowledge in their fields of study.


  1. Students' academic requirements are based on the Catalog that is in force during their first semester of enrollment at Kent State University.
  2. Students may elect to complete a degree program under a more recent Catalog. When changing Catalog year, students must comply with all of the requirements relevant to their program in the newer Catalog.
  3. Catalog rights may be granted through inter-institutional curricular agreements. Such rights are subject to the same exclusions noted below.


  1. Students who transfer to another university and return to Kent State are readmitted under the Catalog-in-force at the time of readmission.
  2. Undergraduate students who do not satisfactorily complete 12 semester hours at Kent State in two calendar years must satisfy the requirements of the most recent Catalog. Transient work, Credit-By-Examination and coursework receiving grades of AU, F, NF, SF, IN, NR, W, U or Z will not count toward completing the 12 hours.
  3. Undergraduate students who do not complete degree requirements within six years are required to update to the current Catalog.
  4. Dismissed students are reinstated under the Catalog-in-force at the time of reinstatement.
  5. Changes in degree requirements will be made to keep programs in compliance with accreditation, certification or licensure standards. Implementation of these standards may require that students update to the current Catalog.
  6. Program changes may be required by financial urgency, unavailability of faculty or unavailability of other instructional resources. In these instances, the dean of the students' college will identify available alternatives for the completion of degree requirements.

In rare instances an exception to the above policy may be granted by the college dean. GO TO TOP


The transcript is an accurate and complete historical record of work attempted at the university. Changes to transcript entries that alter the enrollment history of a student are not to be made.

Academic Grades and Administrative Marks: Student proficiency in coursework is recorded by the following letter grades:

(4.00)   Denotes "excellent scholarship" for undergraduate students and "superior scholarship" for graduate students

A-    (3.70)   
B+    (3.30)   
B    (3.00)   Denotes "good performance" for undergraduate students and "average performance" for graduate students

B-    (2.70)   
C+    (2.30)   
C    (2.00)   Denotes "fair or average performance" for undergraduate students and "below average performance" for graduate students

C-    (1.70)   
D+    (1.30)   
D    (1.00)   Denotes "poor (unsatisfactory but passing) performance" for undergraduate students and "far below average performance" for graduate students

F    (0.00)   Denotes failure   
AU    The mark AU denotes that students have registered to audit a course. Students may audit without credit any course subject to space availability and departmental approval. An audited course is not counted as part of the course load, but students must go through registration procedures and pay the normal registration fees. For graduate students, an audited course may not be counted as fulfilling the minimum course load requirements. An instructor may impose whatever attendance requirements deemed necessary upon the students registered for audit. The students must be informed of these requirements at the beginning of the semester. Failure to meet such attendance requirements subjects the students to being withdrawn from the course by the instructor. This will be accomplished by the instructor’s insertion of the mark W for the students on the final grades list.   
IN    The administrative mark of IN (Incomplete) may be given to students who are unable to complete the work due to extenuating circumstances. To be eligible, undergraduate students must be currently passing and have completed at least 12 weeks of the semester. Graduate students must be currently earning a C or better grade and are unable to complete the required work between the course withdrawal deadline and the end of classes. The time line shall be adjusted appropriate for summer sessions and flexibly scheduled courses. Appropriate documentation is generally required to support the extenuating circumstance. The student must initiate the request for the Incomplete mark from the instructor, and it is the responsibility of the student to arrange to make up the incomplete work. Incomplete grades must be made up within one semester (not including summer sessions) for undergraduate students and one calendar year for graduate students. Instructors are required to complete and submit an Incomplete Mark Form to the department chair at the time grades are assigned. This form includes justification for awarding the Incomplete, describes the work to be completed for the course and specifies the grade to be assigned if the work is not completed (default grade). A copy of the Incomplete Mark Form is provided to the student. Incomplete grades will not be counted in the computation of grade point averages until the work is completed, at which time an appropriate grade will be assigned based on the instructor’s evaluation of the work submitted and a new grade point average computed. Unless the course is completed or an extension is granted, Incomplete grades will automatically lapse to the grade designated on the Incomplete Mark Form at the end of one semester for undergraduate students and at the end of one year for graduate students.   
IP    The grade IP (In Progress) may be given to students to indicate that research, individual investigation or similar efforts are in progress and that a final grade will be given when the work is completed. The IP grade can be utilized only in designated courses and is not used in computing grade point averages. For graduate students, an IP grade is used for thesis (6xx99) or dissertation (8xx99) courses during those semesters in which a student is in the process of completing a thesis or dissertation. For courses required for the degree, a final grade must be given before a degree can be granted. The IP grade when given for thesis registration remains a terminal grade if the student changes from a thesis option in the master's degree to another degree option.   
NF    The NF (Never Attended F) grade denotes that students never attended one class session nor did the students formally withdraw from the course. The NF grade will count as an F (zero quality points) in computing grade point averages. In the case of undergraduate courses taken pass/fail, the NF grade will be changed to a Z grade.

NR       A mark of NR indicates the instructor did not submit a grade.   
S    The grade S denotes satisfactory completion of a course in which a regular letter grade is inappropriate. Satisfactory work is interpreted as average or superior attainment. The credit hours are awarded but are not considered in computing grade point averages, but work earning an S grade may be applied toward meeting degree requirements. For graduate students, the S grade, along with the U grade (see below) are the only grades to be used for thesis (6xx99), dissertation (8xx99), workshops and courses involving internships. The instructor intending to use the S and U grades in a course other than these must do so exclusively and only where permitted. The instructor will announce this intent to the particular class at the beginning of the course and note it on the course syllabus.   
SF    The SF (Stopped Attending F) grade denotes that students stopped attending the course and did not formally withdraw. The SF grade will count as an F (zero quality points) in computing grade point averages and must be accompanied by a date of last attendance in the course. Faculty who cannot determine the exact date of last attendance may use the date of the last academic activity in which students participated. SF grades are not appropriate for students who stop attending after the course withdrawal deadline. After that time, grades should be based on student performance in the completion of course requirements. In the case of undergraduate courses taken pass/fail, the SF grade will be changed to a Z grade.

U    The grade U denotes unsatisfactory performance in a course for which a regular grade is inappropriate. Credit hours are recorded as credit hours attempted, and the grade will be counted as an F in computing grade point averages. For graduate students, the U grade, along with the S grade (see above) are the only grades to be used for thesis (6xx99), dissertation (8xx99), workshops and courses involving internships. The instructor intending to use the S and U grades in a course other than these must do so exclusively and only where permitted. The instructor will announce this intent to the particular class at the beginning of the course and note it on the course syllabus.   
W    The mark W denotes that a student has withdrawn from the university or from any individual course without evaluation. This mark is not used in computing grade point averages.   
Y    The grade Y denotes a passing grade in undergraduate pass/fail courses or in undergraduate courses in which students have elected the pass/fail grading option. The credit hours are not considered in computing grade point averages.   
Z    The grade Z denotes failing performance in undergraduate pass/fail courses or in undergraduate courses in which students have elected the pass/fail grading option. The credit hours are not considered in computing grade point averages.   

Grade-to-Grade Change Policy: Once grades are submitted, they are final and will not be changed except in cases of administrative error. Grades will not be changed by allowing the students to do additional work (e.g., retaking exams; redoing papers; submitting extra credit papers, reports, etc.) or by using criteria other than those applied to all students in the class. In the event of a possible administrative error, the students must contact the instructor as soon as possible following the awarding of the grade. If the instructor is not available, the department/school chair should be contacted. Grade appeals for reasons other than administrative error must follow established procedures for student academic complaints. See the Student Academic Complaints (Kent Campus) procedure in the Digest of Rules and Regulations published annually on the Enrollment Management and Student Affairs website, or contact the Office of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs on the Kent Campus or the campus dean's office for the Regional Campuses.

Grade Point Average: Quality points are awarded on the following scale:

  • Each hour of A equals 4 points
  • Each hour of A- equals 3.7 points
  • Each hour of B+ equals 3.3 points
  • Each hour of B equals 3 points
  • Each hour of B- equals 2.7 points
  • Each hour of C+ equals 2.3 points
  • Each hour of C equals 2 points
  • Each hour of C- equals 1.7 points
  • Each hour of D+ equals 1.3 points
  • Each hour of D equals 1 point
  • Each hour of F equals 0 points
  • Each hour of NF equals 0 points
  • Each hour of SF equals 0 points
  • Each hour of U equals 0 points

A grade point average is determined by dividing the total number of points earned by the number of quality hours taken. Totals are extended to two decimal points and is rounded up.

As an example, assume a student has completed 30 hours with a grade distribution of 3 hours of A, 3 hours of B, 3 hours of B-, 15 hours of C, 4 hours of D, and 2 hours of F.

3 hours of A at 4 points per hour    12.0   
3 hours of B at 3 points per hour    9.0   
3 hours of B- at 2.7 points per hour    8.1   
15 hours of C at 2 points per hour    30.0   
4 hours of D at 1 point per hour    4.0

2 hours of F at 0 points per hour    0.0   
Total    63.1   

Dividing 63.1 by 30, a grade point average of 2.103 is obtained, which is slightly above a C average. Cumulative averages are computed by dividing the total quality points by the total quality hours. Grades of S, Y and Z are not included in grade point average.

Pass/Fail Grade: Undergraduate students may elect to take certain courses on a pass/fail basis. The purpose of this option is to provide an opportunity for the exploration of a broader range of coursework than is normally included in specific and distributive degree requirements. Students considering this option should be aware that some institutions of higher education do not accept transfer credit taken on a pass/fail basis. In addition, most graduate and professional schools prefer that pass/fail credit be kept to a minimum.

Students electing to take courses under the pass/fail option should consult their advisor for specific instructions and registration procedures. Conditions governing the acceptability of coursework that pertains to all students are:

  1. The students must be in good standing. Transfer students admitted on probation and students on academic probation with less than a 2.00 GPA may not elect the pass/fail option.
  2. Only one course per semester may be taken under the pass/fail option.
  3. The pass/fail option may be used only for non-specific electives; this option is designed to allow students to explore coursework outside their required courses.
  4. Courses listed as available to meet the Kent Core may not be taken pass/fail.
  5. Courses that may be prescribed or recommended through placement testing may not be taken on a pass/fail basis. Those courses are ENG 11001, MATH 10020, MATH 10021, MATH 10022, MATH 10023, MATH 10024, US 10003 and US 10006.
  6. Excluded from the pass/fail option are the following:
    1. All courses in students’ major department or school
    2. All courses used to meet requirements in students’ major, minor, field of concentration, supporting area or certification program
    3. All courses used to meet the Kent Core and college general requirements
  7. A maximum of 12 hours of pass/fail credit (combined Y-Pass and Z-Fail grades) may be attempted. Courses regularly graded satisfactory/unsatisfactory (S/U) are not counted in this 12-hour maximum; experimental courses that are Y/Z graded are included in the 12-hour limit.
  8. Instructors will not be informed of students’ election of the pass/fail option. Regular letter grades of A, B, C and D that are reported by the instructor will be converted to a Pass (Y); letter grades of F, NF (Never Attended–Fail) and SF (Stopped Attending–Fail) will be converted to a Fail (Z) grade.
  9. Pass/fail grades will not be used in computing grade point averages.
  10. Students changing majors will not have “pass” grades changed to regular grades if they have pass/fail credit in that area. The “pass” grades will stand, but all further courses in the program must be for regular grading.
  11. No change of pass/fail enrollment status is permitted after the final day of formal registration.

Students should contact their college, department, school or Regional Campuses office for clarification of the pass/fail option and for application of that option to their particular programs.

Grade Reports: Final grades are reported at the close of each academic term and become a part of the students' permanent records. Grades are available on FlashFAST.

Midterm Evaluation: A midterm (seventh week) evaluation is completed for all undergraduate freshmen. Midterm results are available to advisors and college/school/campus deans and will be used for counseling purposes when achievement is considered unsatisfactory (i.e., D or F quality). This evaluation will not be included as part of the students' academic transcripts. The midterm evaluation is available to freshmen on FlashFAST. GO TO TOP


An undergraduate student is classified as follows:
  • FRESHMAN — 0 to 29 hours of earned credit
  • SOPHOMORE — 30 to 59 hours of earned credit
  • JUNIOR — 60 to 89 hours of earned credit
  • SENIOR — 90 hours to graduation GO TO TOP


All entering freshman students participate in the Destination Kent State: Advising and Registration program designed to familiarize newly admitted freshmen and their families with the Kent Campus. During these sessions, the COMPASS computerized placement test is administered to assess students’ basic skills in reading, writing and mathematics.

Upon completion of the assessment, students meet with an academic advisor. If students are required to enroll in one or more academic skills courses, the advisor explains how the COMPASS scores are used in combination with the ACT or SAT subscores and high school preparation as reliable measures of the basic skills needed for success in college.

English Composition
All programs require successful completion of the basic College English sequence, which consists of ENG 11011 and 21011 College Writing I and II. Placement into the appropriate starting course in the sequence is determined by proficiency as established by ACT English or SAT verbal scores.

Foreign Languages

Students arrive at Kent State with varying types of foreign language experience: some come from other countries and are fluent in their native language, others have grown up in America with a first language other than English, but most have learned a second language in a formal classroom setting. Accordingly, the term “native language” refers to the language of students who have been born, raised and educated in another culture and who can be expected to use that language not only easily but accurately as well. Similarly, “first language” refers to the language of students who may have been born and spent their early years abroad or who have been raised in a particular ethnic community in this country; while they may speak the language with some ease, a lack of consistent formal training limits the accuracy of their usage.

A student with a native language other than English may not register for or receive credit in coursework on the elementary or intermediate level in that language or a closely related one as determined by the chairperson of the appropriate department. Such students may, however, receive credit for coursework successfully completed above the Intermediate II level.

Students with a first (not native) language other than English may be permitted to enroll in, and receive credit for, coursework on the elementary and/or intermediate level. Permission will be granted on a case-by-case basis by the chairperson of the appropriate department after evaluation of the student’s skills in that language.

All students should begin foreign language study at the appropriate level of proficiency, which may be established in one of several ways: CLEP examination, Kent State University’s Credit-By-Examination program, proficiency examination or a placement test. In cases of languages for which no examiner or examination is available, proficiency can be established (no credit awarded) through appropriate documentation of school coursework in the native land and language. Credit hours exempted by any of these means still are required for graduation but may be applied toward coursework in the student’s major or minor or as electives.

Students should contact the Department of Modern and Classical Language Studies for assistance with placement in all foreign language coursework. The Department of Modern and Classical Language Studies is located in Room 109 Satterfield Hall and can be reached at 330-672-2150.

Mathematics placement for all new freshmen is normally made during the Destination Kent State: Advising and Registration program. Questions concerning mathematics placement should be directed to Undergraduate StudiesGO TO TOP


The State of Ohio, working through the University System of Ohio, has initiated policies to facilitate the ease of transition from high school to college as well as between and among Ohio's public colleges and universities.

Beginning in the Fall term 2009:

  1. Students obtaining an Advanced Placement (AP) exam score of 3 or above will be awarded the aligned course(s) and credits for the AP exam area(s) successfully completed.
  2. General Education courses and credits received will be applied towards graduation and will satisfy a general education requirement if the course(s) to which the AP area is equivalent fulfill a requirements.
  3. If an equivalent course is not available for the AP exam area completed, elective or area credit will be awarded in the appropriate academic discipline and will be applied towards graduation where such elective credit options exist within the academic major.
  4. Additional courses or credits may be available when a score of 4 or 5 is obtained. Award of credit for higher score values varies depending on the institution and academic discipline.
  5. In academic disciplines containing highly dependent sequences (Sciences, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics—STEM) students are strongly advised to confer with the college/university advising staff to ensure they have the appropriate foundation to be successful in advanced coursework within the sequence.

The awarding of credit through the College Board Advanced Placement (AP) program is coordinated by the Honors College; this credit is based on college-level high school courses and tests  administered through the high schools. (Further information on APP may be obtained from the dean of the Honors College, 330-672-2312).      GO TO TOP


Students with demonstrable ability and knowledge in a particular subject area may earn credit in selected courses though Credit-By-Examination (CBE), coordinated by Academic Testing Services in the Career Services Center.  Students who wish to pursue CBE must complete the CBE application to gain appropriate college and departmental permission.  The appropriate academic department administers the exam which may include the completion of additional assignments.  The minimum passing standard for CBE is the equivalent of a “C” grade.  However, no letter grade, only credit hours, are posted to the academic transcript for CBE. 

For the CBE application, per credit hour fee, and a list of available courses, visit the Academic Testing Services website.

See Credit Testing Eligibility, below, for more regulations on awarding credit through testing.  GO TO TOP


Students may earn academic credit through the College Board College Level Examination Program (CLEP) administered by Academic Testing Services in the Career Services Center.  CLEP allows a student to earn college credit for prior knowledge and move on to more advanced coursework sooner.  Credit, but no letter grade, is granted for scores meeting the minimum required score of 50, equivalent to a “C” grade.

For additional CLEP information including available tests, KSU course equivalents, and test dates, visit the Academic Testing Services website.

See Credit Testing Eligibility, below, for more regulations on awarding credit through testing.   GO TO TOP


The student's college determines eligibility for testing. The following regulations govern credit through testing:

  1. Students may be tested for CBE only once for any given course. Students may not attempt a course CBE for which they have previously attempted through CLEP.
  2. New students may take CLEP before beginning work at Kent State University. Students who have begun college work are allowed to take CBE only if they are in good standing (i.e., not on probation).
  3. Students may not take CLEP or CBE for any course:
    1. In which they have audited
    2. In which they are currently enrolled
    3. In which they have previously enrolled and earned a grade, including withdrawal (A-F, AU, IN, IP, NF, NR, S, SF, U, W, Y or Z)
  4. In subject fields in which knowledge is sequential or accumulative, students may receive academic credit through CBE only for the single course commensurate with their level of proficiency as established by the examination. Students who already have received credit for one level in such a sequence of courses may not receive academic credit by means of CBE or CLEP for a prior course in that sequence or for a course in a lower sequence.
  5. Students pursuing a baccalaureate may attempt a maximum of 30 hours CLEP, AP and CBE combined. Students who wish to take more than 30 hours may petition their college dean for a waiver of this limitation. Students who have earned more than 30 hours of AP and/or CLEP credit before attending Kent State University will be granted that credit, provided such credit meets normal Kent State standards.
  6. CBE normally is given only during the third through eighth week of each semester. Students approaching graduation must complete all CBE and CLEP credit by at least the semester preceding the semester in which they plan to graduate.
  7. Students who sign up for CBE must take the exam within one calendar year of the date of application. If they do not, they forfeit any fees paid and must reapply to take the exam.



Defense Activity For Non-Traditional Educational Support (DANTES) and Service Examinations—Advanced-standing credit is awarded for DANTES courses and for some armed forces service experiences on the basis of recommendations provided by the Commission on Accreditation of Services of the American Council of Education.

Basic Training
Advanced-standing credit is awarded for some experiences in basic training which are equivalent to some beginning physical education courses at Kent State University. Credit is awarded on the basis of recommendations from the School of Health Sciences.

In order for credit to be granted in any of the above areas, a transcript or certificate of completion or a veterans DD 214 form is required. In addition, Kent State reserves the right to set the percentile score that is necessary for satisfactory performance in a course and for granting of credit. Credit will not be given for duplicate work taken through any of these agencies. Information regarding the standards for satisfactory performance may be obtained upon request from Kent State University, Transfer Center, P.O. Box 5190, Kent, OH 44242-0001.  GO TO TOP


Kent State University does not offer correspondence courses. However, the university will accept up to 11 semester hours of correspondence work from an accredited institution, provided each course is completed with a grade of at least C and is applicable to the students’ degree program. Correspondence credit does not count toward the final year of required work in-residence. GO TO TOP

Undergraduate: Residence is defined as academic credit earned at Kent State University. In this context, residence does not refer to whether a student lives on campus; it refers to the hours required to earn an undergraduate degree from Kent State University. Students must complete a minimum of 30 passed hours in residence for a baccalaureate (of which 9 passed hours must be at the upper division [30000-40000] level in the major); a minimum of 15 passed hours in residence for an associate degree. Passed hours comprise graded coursework, including those receiving an S (satisfactory) or X (pass) grade. Information on specific degree requirements may be obtained in the college section of this catalog. Kent State study-abroad and study-away programs that count toward a student’s Kent State University hours may be taken as part of the residence requirement.

Credit earned by means of transfer courses does not count toward residence. Transient study will not count toward the hours of residence, but it will not invalidate residence requirements in progress. Students eligible to take transient coursework are discouraged from taking these credits during their last semester because of the time necessary to receive and process transcripts, which may delay clearing the student for graduation. Under unusual circumstances, students may request a minor modification of this requirement by contacting their college prior to registration elsewhere.

Graduate: Residence requirements are determined by the graduate departments. Please consult the appropriate department as to its residence requirement for the degree. GO TO TOP

The academic year at Kent State University consists of two semesters—fall and spring—each approximately 15 weeks in length. The normal undergraduate program is designed to be completed in four academic years, or eight semesters. In addition, the university conducts four sessions during the summer term: one three-week intersession, two five-week sessions and one eight-week session.

Each hour of coursework is called a “semester hour,” as distinguished from the quarter system used at some other universities and colleges. An academic year under that system consists of three 10-week quarters, and one hour of coursework is called a “quarter-hour.”

One quarter-hour of work equals two-thirds of a semester hour; one semester hour equals one and one-half quarter-hours. A transfer student with a number of quarter-hour credits would multiply that number by two-thirds to determine the equivalent semester hour credits at Kent State University. For example, a student with 48 quarter-hours would receive 32 semester hours of transfer credit, providing the previous work meets university academic standards. GO TO TOP


Only students who have been formally admitted to Kent State University may register for coursework and pay the appropriate fees. An official registration is a record of the students’ approved schedule of classes maintained online in the university’s student information system, Banner. Students who are not officially registered for a course by published university deadlines should not attend classes and will not receive credit or a grade for the course.

Students register for courses online through FlashFAST (log onto FlashLine and click on the Student Tools tab). New freshmen register through the Destination Kent State: Advising and Registration program. Refer to the Office of the University Registrar website for registration information, instructions, dates, deadlines and procedures.

Kent State University reserves the right to change the time of a course if it is deemed necessary, and it reserves the right to drop any course from the Schedule of Classes if there is insufficient student demand or if resources are unavailable to offer the course. Students interested in registering at a Regional Campus should check with the campus in which they are interested for specific dates, times and procedures involving registration transactions (initial registrations, schedule adjustments, course withdrawals, etc.) must be completed by the published deadlines found on the appropriate term calendar on the University Registrar website.

Flexibly Scheduled Course Sections: Some courses are offered as flexibly scheduled sections, that is, the section does not meet for the full semester. Eligibility for processing registration transactions for these courses (adding, dropping or withdrawing) is determined by the beginning and ending dates of the section. See the University Registrar website for deadlines.

Late Registration: Students who are not officially enrolled for any coursework (i.e., registered and have paid fees) as of the first day of classes for the semester will have to process a late registration using FlashFAST. All late registrations must be completed prior to the beginning of the third week of classes for fall and spring semesters.* If class beginning and/or ending dates are other than the regular session dates for a full term, deadlines may be different than noted above. For determining deadlines for these flexibly scheduled classes, visit the University Registrar website. Late registrations will not be accepted after the second week of classes for fall and spring semesters.*

A late registration fee will be assessed for any registration processed after the first week of classes for fall and spring semesters.* A non-payment fee will be assessed for registrations not paid by the end of the second week of classes. Visit the Office of the Bursar website for information on students’ fees.

Schedule Adjustments: In addition to the schedule adjustments during the registration periods, the following schedule adjustments may be permitted through the first two weeks of the semester.*

  1. Adding a course/section.
  2. Dropping a course/section.
  3. Changing a section (same course but different time or credit hours).
  4. Changing from graded to pass/fail or audit status.
  5. Changing from pass/fail or audit to graded status.

Schedule adjustments are permitted as outlined on the University Registrar website. There are no processing fees required for schedule adjustments.

  • Course adding is permitted through the second week of the semester, on a space-available basis, using FlashFAST.
  • Withdrawal from any or all courses is permitted through the 10th week of the semester (or the prorated deadline for flexibly scheduled sections). After that time, students are considered to be committed to all remaining courses and must complete them. If students are unable to complete the semester because of extreme circumstances that first occur after the deadline, students should consult their college or campus dean’s office. Any course withdrawal(s) processed after the second week of the semester will appear on the students’ academic record with a grade of W.*
  • If class beginning and/or ending dates are other than the regular session dates for a full term, deadlines may be different than noted above. See the University Registrar website for deadlines.
  • Any applicable refund (published on the Bursar's website) is determined by the date the transaction is processed on FlashFAST.

Registration Cancellation: To receive a full refund of tuition, students who register and decide not to attend the university must cancel their registration as early as possible and no later than the end of the first week of classes.* This may be accomplished by the student dropping all courses via FlashFAST during registration periods. Any paid registration not canceled by the end of the first week of classes will be subject to the refund schedule published on the Bursar's website. Any applicable refund is determined by the date the transaction is processed on FlashFAST.

* Please refer to the Registrar's summer term calendar for summer deadlines. GO TO TOP


Classes are conducted on the premise that regular attendance is expected. The individual instructor has both the responsibility and the prerogative for managing student attendance. If students anticipate an absence, they should consult with the instructor individually. In the event the absence was due to illness or injury, verification from the medical professional treating the illness or injury should be presented to the instructor. GO TO TOP


The Kent State University Code of Student Conduct applies to both graduate and undergraduate students. Students are subject to dismissal or suspension for violations of the code.

Violations that may result in academic dismissal include furnishing false or incomplete information to the university with intent to deceive or forge, alter or misuse university documents or other official documents that serve as the basis for admission and graduation. Forgery or alteration of these documents may result in the revocation of a graduate degree or certificate.

It is the policy of Kent State University that:

  1. Students are to perform their own academic work according to the standards set by faculty members, departments, schools and colleges of the university.
  2. Cheating and plagiarism constitute a fraudulent misrepresentation for which no credit can be given and for which appropriate sanctions are warranted and will be applied.

For additional information, please visit the Office of Judicial Affairs website. GO TO TOP


Kent State University policy #3342-5-08.101 (for administering and maintaining student education records) is in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. The general principles of Kent State University’s policy, subject to some exceptions, are as follows:

  1. Educational records are defined as those records, files, documents and other materials that contain information directly related to the students and are maintained by a college, school, department, office or other university organizational subdivision or by a person acting for the university or any of its subdivisions. Other “educational records” include the official academic record (Office of the University Registrar), advisement records (college or school office), discipline records (Judicial Affairs), and placement bureau records (Career Services Center).
  2. Students have certain rights of access to this information.
  3. After reviewing their individual file, students may challenge a perceived inaccuracy, misleading statement or other perceived violation of their privacy or other rights.
  4. The university has certain responsibilities to protect this information with the exception of directory information. Directory information includes the student’s name; local and permanent address; telephone listing; e-mail address; class standing; enrollment status; major field of study; dates of attendance; degrees and awards received; high school graduated from; most recent previous educational agency or institution attended; participation in officially recognized activities and sports; weight and height (if a member of an athletic team).
  5. Students may restrict the publication and release of directory information by filing a written request with the Office of the University Registrar or by completing the online form on FlashLine.
  6. The complete policy regarding the collection, retention and dissemination of information about students is available in the Office of the University Registrar.

Copies of a student’s academic transcript are available, at no charge, by requesting them in one of the following ways:

  1. Appearing in person with photo ID at the Office of the University Registrar Service Counter, Room 108, Schwartz Center
  2. Mailing a request to Office of the University Registrar, Kent State University, P.O. Box 5190, Kent, OH 44242-0001
    1. Provide the following information: current name and address, any former name(s), student ID number, dates of attendance, campus(es) attended, address(es) where the transcripts are to be mailed and written signature.
  3. Logging onto FlashLine and click on the Student Tools tab. Current students can view an unofficial version of their transcripts in the Academic Profile box on the Student Tools tab.

Transcripts will be processed upon receipt and will be mailed within two business days. Please allow extra processing time at the beginning and ending of each semester. For additional information on ordering transcripts, please refer to the  University Registrar website. All financial obligations to Kent State University must be satisfied before a transcript is released. GO TO TOP


Pursuant to Ohio Law, House Bill 845, all Ohio resident male students between the ages of 18 and 26 not registered with Selective Service must file a statement of Selective Service registration with the Office of the University Registrar. If students have not already registered with Selective Service, they will be contacted regarding their non-compliant status. Failure to comply will result in the assessment of nonresident tuition fees to their account and the cancellation of all state-based financial aid. Further questions may be directed to the Office of the University Registrar. GO TO TOP


Each of the 10 colleges of Kent State University award one or more undergraduate and graduate degrees at commencement exercises in December, May and August. The graduation requirements for these degrees are outlined in the various college sections of this Catalog.

Undergraduate and graduate students applying for graduation should complete the online graduation application available in their Graduation Planning Tools channel (Student Tools tab) in FlashLine by the published deadlines. The online graduate application is used for all degrees and certificate programs. If students fail to carry out the proper application procedures by the published deadlines (see Academic Calendar), the degree will not be granted until the next graduation date. Associate degrees are conferred at each Regional Campus at the end of the academic term in which all requirements are successfully completed. Application deadlines may be obtained from the Office of the University Registrar as well as from the various college and campus offices.

For commencement dates for each campus, see the Academic Calendar in this Catalog.

Application For Undergraduate Graduation: Prospective graduates for bachelor's degrees and undergraduate certificates must complete the online application for graduation (available in FlashLine) by the following deadlines:

  • December Graduation: The application for graduation must be submitted by the 15th day of the preceding March.
  • May Graduation: The application for graduation must be submitted by the 15th day of the preceding September.
  • August Graduation: The application for graduation must be submitted by the 15th day of the preceding December.

Exceptions to the policies above shall be made only by the respective collegial deans or their appointed representative, based upon unusual circumstances.

Graduation with Institutional Honors—Bachelor's Degrees: Candidates for bachelor's degrees who demonstrate high levels of scholarship throughout their undergraduate years graduate with institutional honors. Graduation with institutional honors is conferred on students who earn a baccalaureate with a GPA of at least:

  • 3.30 cum laude
  • 3.60 magna cum laude
  • 3.80 summa cum laude

Institutional honors are based solely on the GPA earned in all coursework taken at Kent State University, including original grades forgiven and/or recalculated under other policies. A minimum of 60 semester hours must be earned at Kent State University to qualify. For the purposes of computing the final GPA and determining honors awards, the GPA is extended to two decimal places and not rounded up. Honor citations are inscribed on diplomas as follows: cum laude, magna cum laude and summa cum laude. Honors candidates will be distinguished at the Commencement ceremony based on all their institutional academic work completed prior to those courses taken during their final term of enrollment.

Graduation with Distinction—Associate Degrees: Candidates for associate degrees who demonstrate high levels of scholarship through their coursework will graduate "with distinction." "With distinction" is awarded when students achieve a minimum 3.50 GPA for all undergraduate coursework at Kent State University. In order for students to be considered for graduation "with distinction" and have it inscribed on their diploma, a minimum 32 credit hours must be completed at Kent State University. The students' unadjusted GPA at the time the associate degree is conferred (which should be unadjusted by the application of the Academic Forgiveness Policy, Course Repeat Policy or Rule for Recalculation of First-Year Grade Point Average) will be used in determining "with distinction."

Posting of Degrees: The integrity of academic transcripts is fundamental to the validity of coursework and degrees certified by the university. Therefore, all student transcript entries (grades and other notations) are finalized when the degree is officially posted to the permanent academic record. Degrees are posted to students' permanent academic records approximately 30 days following the effective date of graduation. GO TO TOP


The enrollment certification for loan deferments, insurance coverage or any other official certification of enrollment is processed by the Office of the University Registrar. An audited course is not counted for enrollment certification purposes.

Undergraduate Students:

  • Full-time enrollment: 12+ credit hours
  • Three-quarter-time enrollment: 9-11 credit hours
  • Half-time enrollment: 6-8 credit hours
  • Less-than-half-time enrollment: 1-5 credit hours

Graduate Students:

  • Full-time enrollment: 8+ credit hours
  • Three-quarter-time enrollment: 6-7 credit hours
  • Half-time enrollment: 4-5 credit hours
  • Less-than-half-time enrollment: 1-3 credit hours

Please note: For summer, this definition may be fulfilled by enrollment in one or more sessions within the summer semester. GO TO TOP


Any of the following constitute personal data changes and may be completed at the Office of the University Registrar:

  1. Change of address—all students must maintain a permanent address in Kent State's student information system. Residence halls may not be used as a permanent address. Address changes are processed using FlashLine.
  2. Change of name for currently enrolled students requires legal documentation.
  3. Change of residency status. Approval is in accordance with the policy mandated by the state of Ohio. See policy regarding Ohio student residency.
    1. New students appealing their non-resident status at the time of their admission should apply for residency at their admitting office.
    2. Current and former students should apply for residency at the Office of the University Registrar or their Regional Campus office.

Change of college, major, minor or degree program requires approval of the students’ college office. Forms may be obtained at the college office or Regional Campus office. GO TO TOP


University Rule 3342-5-091 requires that all students having a Social Security number provide it to the university. A system-assigned student ID number will be used within the university to link all of the student’s academic and financial records kept by the university. GO TO TOP


Kent State University employs various measures to protect the security of its computing resources and its users’ accounts. Users should be aware, however, that the university cannot guarantee the absolute security and privacy of data stored on university computing facilities. Users should therefore engage in "safe computing" practices by establishing appropriate access restrictions for their accounts, guarding their passwords, changing them regularly and backing up critical files when appropriate.

Users also should be aware that the use of university computing resources is not completely private. While the university does not routinely monitor individual usage of its computing resources, the normal operation and maintenance of the university’s computing resources require the backup and caching of data and communications, the logging of activity, the monitoring of general usage patterns and other such activities that are necessary for the normal operation of service. Communications made by means of university computing resources are generally subject to Ohio’s Public Records Statute to the same extent as they would be if made on paper. Companies who are recognized to be operating as agents of the university, like Google Gmail and spam filtering services, are also subject to university policies and relevant laws.

Connections to the university’s wireless network may be unsecured, and data such as passwords, e-mail and instant messages could be intercepted by other users. The use of secure websites (https), virtual private network (VPN) or wireless encryption via the FLASHZONE-WPA network are strongly recommended if any sensitive data is involved. GO TO TOP


Access to technology is essential to the university’s mission. However, access to technology is a privilege that requires faculty, staff, students and all users of university computing resources to use technology resources responsibly. See Chapter 9 of the University Policy Register website for Kent State's policies on information technology and security These policies provide general standards and may be supplemented with additional policies from units that operate their own computers or networks, provided such policies are consistent with this policy. GO TO TOP


Responsible use includes avoiding illegal downloading or sharing of music, video and other copyrighted works, and the use of software and peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing networks that support those activities. If caught downloading copyrighted material, individuals may be subject to statutory damages up to $30,000 for each work infringed and, if willful infringement is proven by the copyright owner, that amount may be increased up to $150,000 for each work infringed. The penalty for movie infringements can be up to $250,000 per movie file. In addition, an infringer of a work may also be liable for the attorney's fees incurred by the copyright owner to enforce his or her rights, and university sanctions ranging from losing network usage rights to dismissal from the university. See the Kent State Information Services copyright information website. GO TO TOP


A university-assigned student e-mail account shall be an official university means of communication with all students at Kent State University. Students are responsible for all information sent to them via their university-assigned e-mail account. If a student chooses to forward information in their university e-mail account, he or she is responsible for all information, including attachments, sent to any other e-mail account. To stay current with university information, students are expected to check their official university e-mail account and other electronic communications on a frequent and consistent basis. Recognizing that some communications may be time-critical, the university recommends that electronic communications be checked minimally twice a week. GO TO TOP

Assistive Options

Top of page

Assistive Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a Usablenet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.