The college also is an active participant in the university's Honors College. A business option in the general honors program is offered during the freshman and sophomore years, and various other opportunities are provided during the junior and senior years. [TOP]
- Accounting (B.B.A.)
- Business Management (B.B.A.)
- Computer Information Systems (B.B.A.)
- Economics (B.B.A.)
- Entrepreneurship (B.B.A.)
- Finance (B.B.A.)
- Managerial Marketing (B.B.A.)
- Marketing (B.B.A.)
- Operations Management (B.B.A.)
All new freshmen and transfer students (with less than 24 semester hours) are assigned to their first-year advisor and must register in the Destination Kent State: First Year Experience course, which orients them to the College of Business Administration expectations, requirements and resources and explores major fields of study in Business. Students who select one of the college's Learning Communities or Freshman Interest Groups additionally are connected to a fellowship of similarly interested students to share learning opportunities and experiences. [TOP]
All students in the College of Business Administration should also carefully read General Requirements and Regulations.
- A minimum of 121 semester hours of approved coursework must be completed as prescribed in the various curricula. Included in these 121 semester hours is US 10097 Destination Kent State: First Year Experience.
- All business administration students must satisfy the 36-credit-hour minimum requirement of the Kent Core as outlined and complete 6 credit hours of diversity coursework.
- Writing-intensive course requirement
- Students must complete at least 50 percent of business credit hours (required for the business degree) in-residence on a Kent State University campus.
- Students must complete at least 50 percent of their major credit hours in residence on a Kent State University campus.
- To earn a College of Business Administration minor, students must complete at least two courses in the minor at Kent State University. At least one of these must be at the upper-division (30000-40000) level.
- A minimum 2.50 GPA must be earned for all work carried at Kent State University for the accounting, business management, computer information systems, finance, managerial marketing, marketing and operations management majors. The economics and entrepreneurship majors require a minimum cumulative 2.25 GPA. A minimum 2.50 GPA must be earned in the major field (which includes all major requirements and major electives for the accounting, business management, computer information systems, finance, marketing and operations management majors). The economics and entrepreneurship majors require a 2.25 major GPA.
- Students must complete two measures of outcomes assessment as specified by the College of Business Administration for complete satisfaction of the B.B.A.
- The university normally requires a minimum of 39 semester hours at the upper-division (30000-40000) level for graduation with the B.B.A. [TOP]
The following coursework is required by the College of Business Administration and will satisfy the Kent Core. The uniform requirements are the same for all majors unless otherwise specifically indicated. Majors are expected to follow the prescribed course of study in the freshman and sophomore years, consistent with Kent Core, the diversity requirement and the requirements of the College of Business Administration. The first half of the BBA consists of 61 semester hours of required and elective coursework, which is designed to provide the students with a broad preparation in written and oral communication, social and basic sciences, the humanities and fine arts, mathematics, and introductory work in accounting, economics, computers, statistics, marketing, management and legal environment of business.
General College or University Requirements (1)
US 10097 Destination Kent State: First Year Experience (1)
Kent Core Requirements (36-37)
A complete listing of Kent Core courses are found here.
ENG 11011 College Writing I (3)
ENG 21011 College Writing II (3)
Note: For admission to all business majors, except economics, a minimum C (2.00) must be earned in ENG 11011 and 21011.
Mathematics and Critical Reasoning (3)
MATH 11010 Algebra for Calculus (3)
Note: For admission to all business majors, except economics, a minimum C (2.00) must be earned in MATH 11010.
Humanities and Fine Arts (9)
Minimum one course in humanities category and minimum one course in fine arts category.
Social Sciences (6)
Must be selected from two curricular areas.
ECON 22060 Principles of Microeconomics (3)
Second course must be chosen from anthropology, geography, political science, psychology or sociology.
Basic Sciences (6-7)
Must include one laboratory course.
Additional Kent Core courses (6)
COMM 15000 Introduction to Human Communication (3)
ECON 22061 Principles of Macroeconomics (3)
Note: For admission to all business majors, except economics, minimum C (2.00) grade must be earned in COMM 15000.
Students must complete a two-course diversity requirement, consisting of one with a domestic focus and one with a global focus. One course must come from the Kent Core; the second may be taken as a second Kent Core, within the major or minor, or as a general elective. In some cases, and with the approval of the assistant dean, students may satisfy the second diversity course requirement by completing one semester of study in another country. A complete list of diversity requirement courses can be found here.
Additional Mathematics Requirement (3-5)
MATH 11012 Intuitive Calculus (3)
MATH 12002 Analytic Geometry and Calculus I (5)
Note 1: For progression in all business majors, except economics, minimum C (2.00) grade must be earned in MATH 11010.
Note 2: MATH 11012 Intuitive Calculus (or MATH 12002 Analytical Geometry and Calculus I) is required for all majors. Economics majors are strongly encouraged to take MATH 11022 and 11012 or 12002. Students should consult their academic advisor.
BUS 10123 Exploring Business (3)
MIS 24053 Introduction to Computer Applications (3)
MIS 24056 Fundamentals of Business Statistics (3)
MIS 24163 Principles of Management (3)
ACCT 23020 Introduction to Financial Accounting (3)
ACCT 23021 Introduction to Managerial Accounting (3)
FIN 26074 Legal and Regulatory Environment of Business (3)
MKTG 25010 Marketing (3)
A minimum grade or average is required in the introductory course(s) for each major. See major program requirements.
TOTAL CREDITS 64-67
- Any course offered as a choice in the Kent Core may not be taken pass/fail even if the course is being used as a nonbusiness elective.
- Any course required for the Bachelor of Business Administration program may not be taken pass/fail.
- Workshop credit will apply toward the B.B.A. only in circumstances where the workshop is programmatically appropriate and only after prior approval by the assistant dean and, when appropriate, by the department chair of the student’s major. A maximum of 6 credit hours toward the B.B.A. are allowed, of which a maximum of 3 semester hours may apply toward the student’s major.
To progress in a College of Business major must have:
- Satisfactorily completed 46 semester hours.
- Earned and maintained a minimum 2.50 overall GPA for all majors except economics (see Note 2 below) and entrepreneurship (see Note 3).
- Earned minimum C (2.00) grade in COMM 15000, ENG 11011, ENG 21011, MATH 11010 and the introductory course in the major for all majors except economics. (See complete list under Note 1 below). The accounting major requires a minimum B- (2.70) in ACCT 23020 and ACCT 23021. The computer information systems major requires a minimum 2.50 average in MIS 24053, MIS 24060 and MIS 24065.
- Earned a minimum passing grade (D [1.00] or higher unless otherwise specified, including US 10097) in each of the required courses (or approved equivalents).
Minimum 39 semester hours at the upper-division level (30000-40000) normally are required for graduation with the Bachelor of Business Administration degree.
ENG 30063 Business and Professional Writing
FIN 36053 Business Finance
MIS 34060 Operations Management
44285 Integrated Business Policy and Strategy
- Minimum C (2.00) is required in the introductory course for the major as follows:
- Business Management: MIS 24163
- Entrepreneurship: ENTR 27056
- Finance: FIN 36053
- Managerial Marketing: MKTG 25010
- Marketing: MKTG 25010
- Operations Management: MIS 34060
- The accounting major requires a minimum B- (2.70) grade in both ACCT 23020 and ACCT 23021. If a student does not have at least a B- in both ACCT 23020 and ACCT 23021 but the student does have an average GPA of at least 2.7 in ACCT 23020 and ACCT 23021, the student can apply to the Accounting Department for an override to admitted to junior level accounting courses.
- The computer information systems major requires a minimum 2.50 average in MIS 24053, 24060 and 34070.
- The economics major requires a minimum overall GPA of 2.25 for admission to the major and satisfactory completion of MATH 11012 or MATH 12002. MATH 12002 is the preferred mathematics course.
- The entrepreneurship major requires a minimum GPA of 2.25 and a minimum C (2.0) grade in ENTR 27056
- Students who receive credit for ENG 11011 and/or MATH 11010 via CLEP or Advanced Placement automatically satisfy the minimum C (2.00) grade requirement for ENG 11011 and/or MATH 11010.
- Students whose COMPASS and ACT/SAT scores waive them from ENG 11011 and/or MATH 11010 automatically satisfy the minimum C (2.00) grade requirement for ENG 11011 and/or MATH 11010.
- Students who receive credit via CLEP or Credit-by-Exam for any introductory major course(s) automatically satisfy the minimum C (2.00) grade requirement for the introductory major course(s).
- Transferred course grades that are used to satisfy the core requirements (ENG, MATH, COMM and introductory major course) are taken into consideration for progression in the major.
- Transfer students are required to have minimum 2.50 GPA for admission to the College of Business Administration. Their transfer GPA is used only for admission purposes, not for calculation of graduation GPAs. Students who want to transfer from another KSU college or school are required to have minimum 2.50 cumulative GPA.
Students must complete a one-course writing-intensive requirement and earn minimum C (2.00) grade. A complete list of writing-intensive courses can be found here.
Students who are majors in accounting, business management, computer information systems, finance, managerial marketing and marketing who fail to meet the minimum 2.50 cumulative GPA requirement are prohibited from registering for most 30000- or 40000-level business courses. Economics and entrepreneurship majors need a minimum 2.25 GPA to progress.