Skip Navigation
Phone directory
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

Undergraduate Programs



Regular consultation with an academic advisor is an essential aspect of all students’ personal academic management and planning. Consultation at least once each semester for scheduling advice and assistance with registration procedures is the minimum expectation.

The Office of Advising and Academic Services, located in Taylor Hall, offers comprehensive academic advising for undergraduate students for all majors in the College of the Arts as well as students from other colleges exploring our majors. The office provides advising for transfer students and intervention and referral programs for students on academic probation that include small group and individual counseling. Academic advising is available to students who are undecided about a choice of academic major or who are contemplating general changes of academic programs. The office also treats other issues beyond the immediate purview of the school in which the students’ faculty advisor is based. Students may schedule an appointment online through the Web site,

It is the student’s responsibility to seek out and use the advising resources available.

Requirement Audit

Upon completion of 60 semester hours, each student is required to contact the Office of Advising and Academic Services to obtain a current evaluation of progress toward completion of the student’s chosen degree program. Requirement evaluations are not a substitute for meeting with a faculty advisor. Students may access a KAPS (Kent Academic Progress System) report through their FlashLine account which provides them with information about their academic progress. Questions about KAPS reports are answered in the Office of Advising and Academic Services.

RESPONSIBILITY FOR MEETING ALL GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS rests with students. The various advising services provided by the schools and the college are an effort to support and assist students in meeting this responsibility. Students’ failure to comply with all duly publicized academic requirements, however, is not the responsibility of the university.

Transfer Advising
Students transferring into the college from another university should make an appointment in the Office of Advising and Academic Services to determine applicability of transfer credits to their program before registering for classes. In some cases, students then are referred to their school for a determination on specialized courses. Those seeking admission to the schools of Art, Music or Theatre and Dance or to programs with specialized admissions requirements should check the school’s section of this Catalog for special requirements. Students may schedule an appointment by calling 330-672-2780.

Teacher Preparation Advising
Students who wish to be licensed as teachers must be accepted by the College of Education, Health, and Human Services, and they must satisfy course requirements and meet professional standards established by the College of Education, Health, and Human Services. Students must consult an education advisor in 306 White Hall to be accepted into the education minor. It is important that students accomplish this prior to the junior year. Requirements for the education licensure are listed in the College of Education, Health, and Human Services section of this Catalog. [TOP]


Scholastic Requirements
All candidates for a degree in the College of the Arts must meet all requirements listed under the program of their major in this Catalog. In addition, students must meet the following scholastic qualifications:

  • A cumulative overall GPA of at least 2.00 (C) for all courses taken at Kent State University.
  • A cumulative GPA of at least 2.25 in the major and, where applicable, the minor. Certain programs require higher GPAs. Consult the degree requirements for the major as listed in this Catalog.
  • A 2.50 cumulative GPA and 2.75 major GPA when seeking licensure under the education minor program (certain programs may have a higher GPA requirement).
  • Successful completion of at least 39 upper-division hours of coursework. Upper-division courses are numbered 30000-49999

No Credit Courses
Other prescribed courses, including ENG 11001, MATH 10007, 10023 and 10024 do count, but toward general elective hours only. None of the prescribed courses may be taken pass/fail.

Some courses do not generate credit within particular programs. For instance, ARTH 12001 Art Survey does not generate credit for majors within the School of Art. Check course descriptions carefully for more information.

Course Substitutions
Students who desire to substitute a course for one required in their program must secure written approval from the Office of Advising and Academic Services prior to enrolling in the substitute course.


No more than 4 credit hours of PEB activities courses or the first 16 credit hours of ROTC courses may apply to the 121 semester hours required for graduation.

Veterans who have completed a minimum of one year of active duty may receive PEB credit for military basic training according to branch of service, as follows: Army and Marine Corps, 3 credit hours; Navy and Coast Guard, 2 credit hours; Air Force, 1 credit hour.

Kent Core Basic Sciences
Credit toward fulfilling the Kent Core basic sciences requirements are not given for the following combinations:

  • CHEM 10050 series, the CHEM 10060 series and/or the PHY 13001 series;
  • Both the CHEM 10050 series and the CHEM 10060 series;
  • Both the PHY 13001 series and the PHY 23101 series


Assistive Options

Top of page

Assistive Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a Usablenet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.