Skip Navigation
Phone directory
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

Advising and Academic Services

Academic Advising

Faculty Advisors
Regular consultation with a faculty advisor (an advisor who is a faculty member in the student's school and major) is an essential aspect of each student's personal academic management and planning. Consultation at least once each semester for scheduling advice is the minimum expectation.  Contact information on faculty advisors is available in the school office.

Transfer Advising
Before registering for classes, students transferring from another university should make an appointment in the Office of Advising and Academic Services to determine applicability of transfer credits. Students who are transferring coursework in their major will need to meet with a faculty advisor in their school to determine the applicability of major coursework. Those seeking admission to the Schools of Art or Music or to programs with specialized admission requirements should check the school's section of the Undergraduate Catalog for special requirements.

Teacher Preparation Advising
Students who wish to be licensed as teachers must be accepted by the College of Education and satisfy course requirements and meet professional standards established by the College of Education. Students must consult an education advisor in 306 White Hall to be accepted into the education minor. It is important that students accomplish this prior to the junior year. Requirements for the education licensure are listed in the College of Education section of the Undergraduate Catalog.

Freshman Advising
All freshman students are required to take the First Year Experience course their first semester at Kent State University. The faculty instructor of that course will be the student's advisor for the freshman year. Course selection and scheduling for the spring semester will be done with the faculty instructor. The RETAIN Academic Advisors are also available to provide additional support for freshman students through developmental academic advising. They are available to work with students as they develop their interests, abilities, and values and change or solidify their career goals. RETAIN Academic Advisors focus on assisting students with the transition to college by helping students gain a better understanding of academic policies and procedures, providing students with resources and referrals, employing strategies to improve student academic progress, working with students who are changing their majors and implementing other intrusive programs for freshman students.

Junior Requirement Check
Upon completion of 60 semester hours, each student majoring in the college is required to contact the Office of Academic Services to obtain a requirement sheet bearing a current evaluation of progress toward completion of the student's chosen degree program. Requirement evaluations are not a substitute for meeting with a faculty advisor. Students enrolled in programs that have been coded in KAPS (Kent Academic Progress System) will receive reports of progress in their majors each semester. Questions about KAPS reports should be directed to the Office of Advising and Academic Services.

Senior Graduation Audit
Following the deadline for receipt of graduation applications, the Office of Advising and Academic Services will complete an audit of your file. You will receive a copy of the audit, which will list your incomplete requirements and any additional special problems. Contact one of our Academic Program Specialists if you have questions. Any perceived discrepancies must be brought to our attention as soon as possible. If you need graduation advising assistance prior to receiving your official degree audit, you may also request an unofficial requirement evaluation from an advisor in the Office of Advising and Academic Services by scheduling an advising appointment.

KAPS Reports
KAPS (Kent Academic Progress System) is an automated degree audit system used to monitor students' progress toward completion of degree requirements. The system compares all coursework (including transfer and/or transient courses and in-progress work) with program requirements and provides a current summary of students' progress toward meeting degree requirements. Students can view their individual KAPS reports through FlashLine.

Assistive Options

Top of page

Assistive Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a Usablenet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.