Monday - Friday
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
TRiO Student Support Services
Academic Success Center
Schwartz Center, Room 207
Phone: (330) 672-3190
TRiO/Student Support Services
What is TRiO?
TRiO is committed to providing educational opportunities for Americans—regardless of race, ethnic background or economic circumstance. The U.S. Congress established a series of eight programs to help low-income individuals enter college, graduate and move on to participate more fully in America's economic and social life.
These programs are funded under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 and referred to as the TRiO Programs (initially just three programs: Upward Bound, Talent Search, Student Support Services). Today, TRiO serves and assists first-generation college students and individuals with disabilities to progress through the academic pipeline from middle school to post baccalaureate programs.
SSS is a federally funded TRiO program that provides FREE services to students who are first-generation college students, students registered with the Student Accessibility Services (SAS) office on campus, and those from specific income backgrounds (including Pell Grant recipients). Services include tutoring, mentoring, workshops, laptop lending program, and grant aid. The goal of the program is to help these students succeed, persist, and graduate from college.
What is TRiO Student Support Services?
The TRiO Student Support Services of Kent State University provides a series of academic support and other services to assist in persistence in college to degree completion.
Each TRiO SSS participant receives additional advising support from the TRiO SSS program. Many of these services include (but not limited to) assistance int he interpreting the Kent State University Graduation Planning System (GPS), as well as monitoring student progress to aid in successful navigation of the Kent State GPS; Drop/add counseling, assistance in selecting a major, and career guidance; and strengths assessment and evaluation.
The mission of KSU TRiO SSS is to increase TRiO participants' persistence and graduation rates and to foster an institutional climate supporting academic success of eligible students. KSU TRiO SSS provides opportunities for academic development, assists students with basic college requirements, and to motivate students toward the successful completion of their post-secondary education.
To inspire TRiO Student Support Services participants to maximize their personal and academic potential.
- First generation college students – College students whose parents or legal guardians have not completed a bachelor's degree.
- Low income status based on federal income guidelines. (go to http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ope/trio/incomelevels.html for guidelines)
- Registered with the Student Accessibility Services (SAS) office and be able to provide verification at time of application for TRiO SSS Services.
- Financial literacy
- Test anxiety
- How to get into a grad school
- Grant aid scholarships
- Money matters
- Academic success skills workshops, college, and personal development workshops.
- Resume and career perpetration.
- Welcome back event
- TRiO Achiever Annual Awards Ceremony
- Student of the month
- Cultural events and field trips
- TRiO SSS support group
- Student and career development
- TRiO service project
- Grant aid scholarships
- Scheduled tutoring for most subjects
- Peer mentoring - study skills, test-taking strategies, and time management
- Free computer lab access
- Private Study Space
- Membership in a community dedicated to academic success and graduation.
- Assistance in interpreting the Kent State GPS
- Drop/add counseling
- Assistance in selecting a major
- Review academic progress
- Assistance in developing realistic schedules and course loads
- Career guidance
- Strengths assessment and evaluation