Skip Navigation
Phone directory
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).


CCI Commons is here to help! Below is a list of helpful resources for our students and parents. If you cannot find what you're looking for, do not hesitate to contact us.



Most Common Questions



What is a Living-Learning Community (LLC)? 
LLCs vary from university to university and even within Kent State University. The CCI Commons is a partnership between the College of Communication and Information and Residence Services in order to better serve our majors with an entire building (Olson Hall) of students with similar majors living together. Programs and services are provided to students in the community to help connect their living and learning experience.

What can I expect if I join CCI Commons? 
You can expect the ideal college experience when you live in the CCI Commons. You’ll have the freedom to do everything you plan to in college while having the convenience and support of living in our community. You will meet other students in your major, attend programs aimed at your major area of interest, and will be connected to what’s going on in the College of Communication and Information and on campus.

Where is CCI Commons located? 
CCI Commons is located in the heart of campus in Olson Hall.

What is the address for Olson Hall? 
Students receive U.S. mail and packages at the area desk.
Student Name
Olson Hall – KSU
Quad Desk
375 Janik Drive
Kent, OH 44243

GPS Address for Olson Hall:
875 University Esplanade
Kent, OH 44243

Campus and Housing

What items should I bring with me to campus? 
Every room on campus is furnished with a bed, desk and dresser for each student in addition to high-speed internet service, phone service and cable television hook-up. The student will need to provide the necessary cables to utilize the services provided. Each room has a small refrigerator and a microwave. Additionally, students should bring bath essentials, extra-long twin bedding, as well as any other personal items necessary. Please remember to keep toaster-ovens, candles, indoor grills, microwaves and torchiere-style lighting at home. For a more complete listing of items, please refer to our Hallways Manual. View our non-inclusive list of items to bring and items to leave at home.

What type of laundry service is available in the residence halls? 
Each floor in Olson Hall has laundry facilities. We offer laundry machines that use smart-card technology to pay for laundry use. Upon move-in, each student will receive a laundry card that can have funds added to the card at the laundry card stations at our Area Desks. Students must provide their own soap and laundry essentials.

Am I allowed to bring my car to campus? 
All of our students are more than welcome to bring their cars with them to the university. However, please note that first-year students park at Dix Stadium. For full parking details, please refer to the Parking Services website.

Where am I able to use my food plan, and how do I purchase food with my plan? 
Our flexible food plans operate on a debit system that allows our students to purchase food and food items from our cafeterias and convenience stores on campus. The food plan is accessed through the student’s Flashcard. When purchasing food, the student simply hands his or her card to the cashier or will swipe it at an electronic kiosk. The student is given a receipt for the purchase that also includes the balance of his or her food plan. For full details surrounding food plans, dining options and our dining facilities, please visit the Dining Services website.

What size are the beds in the residence halls? 
Mattresses in our residence halls are extra-long (36“x80”). The National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH) has partnered with Residence Hall Linens to provide our students with a convenient, affordable way to purchase extra-long sheets and bedding items, as well as other campus-living necessities. Proceeds from this program go to the NRHH and are used for programming and leadership opportunities in the residence halls. Please visit the RHL website.

What size of carpet should I plan to bring? 
We recommend that you plan to bring area rugs or carpet remnants as opposed to bringing wall-to-wall carpet. If you do choose to bring your own carpeting, please remember that rubber and/or foam backed carpeting is prohibited per fire safety policies. Our carpet size recommendation for Olson Hall is 9×12.

Joining CCI Commons

How do I become a part of CCI Commons? 
You must be a College of Communication and Information major and request to live in Olson Hall on your housing application.

How can I join the CCI Commons? 
You must be a College of Communication and Information major and live in Olson Hall. The housing application will be available in early February. There is an application fee assessed at the time you apply in addition to a prepayment. Your application is complete once the prepayment is submitted. The sooner your application is submitted, the better your chances are of being placed in the CCI Commons.

Does my roommate have to be in CCI as well? 
Yes. To live in Olson Hall, both you and your roommate must be admitted to the College of Communication and Information (CCI). All housing spaces in Olson Hall have been reserved for the College of Communication and Information Commons.

Do I have to live in Olson Hall to participate in the CCI Commons? 
Yes, as a living-learning community, it is required that you live in Olson Hall with the other members of the program.

What courses can I take with other CCI Commons students? 
Each semester we have class sections set aside for CCI Commons members. When possible the classes are taught in Olson Hall. All freshmen and transfer students with fewer than 30 hours must take the First Year Experience (FYE) course. When you meet with your advisor during Destination Kent State, you will be enrolled in other introductory courses, many of which will have other members of the CCI Commons. See your academic advisor or contact Marianne Warzinski for information on specific course offerings.

Text Only Options

Top of page

Text Only Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a UsableNet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.