Student Organization Manual Sections
The Student Organization Manual is designed to answer many of the questions that you may have concerning the basics of being a student organization. While it can never take the place of actual direct communication with a Center for Student Involvement staff member, it is a great way to begin educating yourselves about policies, programming, and services available to you.
The main purpose of this handbook is to assist student groups to organize and function within the larger University community here at Kent State. It exists to help students understand guidelines and policies affecting organizations and activities on campus. This handbook is both for new organizations seeking to establish themselves and also as a refresher for those that have been in existence for awhile.
We expect that all students and student organizations be responsible for sound fiscal management, observe federal, state and local laws and University policies, and meet minimum academic requirements. It is important for you to know that student organizations will be held accountable for these expectations.
Please take a look through the manual and feel free to come to the Center for Student Involvement with any questions you may have. Let it serve as a tool for your own and your organization's leadership development and involvement.
Best wishes on a great academic year! Go Flashes!
Timeka L. Thomas Rashid, Ph.D.
Assistant Dean of Students/Director, Center for Student Involvement
How to Use This Manual
The Manual has been broken down by individual sections as PDFs for you to download.
- Student Organization Benefits/Expectations ( PDF)
- Student Organization Registration ( PDF)
- Starting a Student Organization ( PDF)
- Roles of the Advisor ( PDF)
- Services for Student Organizations ( PDF)
- Use of Space on Campus ( PDF)
- EIN and Other Tax-related Information ( PDF)
- Activity Fees ( PDF)
- Planning and Holding an Event/Program ( PDF)
- Programming Paperwork ( PDF)
- Programming - Special Types of Events ( PDF)
- Food and Alcohol Sales/Distribution ( PDF)
Publicity and Posting ( PDF)