Bachelor of Arts
The Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts degrees offered by the School of Digital Sciences are designed to provide students with the ability to adapt and succeed in a rapidly changing digital world.
The Bachelor of Arts degree program retains the same core coursework in Digital Sciences as the B.S. degree, but with fewer required electives. As such, it is the ideal complement to an Associate's degree or an excellent candidate for part of a dual degree. For sophomores or juniors who change their major to Digital Sciences, the B.A. degree may provide the quickest path to graduation.
The major program requirements and concentration requirements are summarized informally below. For the full formal descriptions, please see these sections in the Kent State University 2013 - 2014 Catalog:
- Digital Sciences BS & BA (overview, including semester-by-semester RoadMaps for course planning)
BA Program Requirements (detailed major requirements, including Kent Core requirements and Advisor-Approved Electives)
- Academic Policies
Informal lists of course descriptions can be found in the Courses menu item on the left. This menu contains three lists:
- DSCI Courses / Undergraduate DSCI has descriptions of all courses with the DSCI prefix,
- Other Required Courses / Undergraduate Other has descriptions of required courses with a non-DSCI prefix
- Pre-Approved Electives / Undergraduate Electives has descriptions of courses that have been pre-approved as "Advisor-Approved Electives in Digital Sciences or Related Area".
MAJOR PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS:
For semester-by-semester course sequencing for this program, view the 2014-2015 Roadmap.II. MAJOR PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS (42 credits) Courses count in major GPA
Type Course Title Credits
DSCI 10010 Society, Culture and the Digital Sciences 3
10410 Information Ethics and Social Responsibility 3
13210 Design Processes and Principles 3
15310 Computational Thinking and Programming 3
34410 Digital Information Management and Processing 3
ELR 40910 Capstone in Digital Sciences 3
WIC 41510 Project Management and Team Dynamics 1 3
41610 Digital Systems Security 3
MIS 24053 Introduction to Computer Applications 3
24065 Web Programming 3
44043 Database Management Systems 3
TECH 46411 Requirements Engineering and Analysis 3
Approved Electives in Digital Sciences or Related Area 2 6
Type Legend: DD Diversity–Domestic; DG Diversity–Global; ELR Experiential Learning; KAD Kent Core Additional; KBS Kent Core Basic Sciences; KCM Kent Core Composition; KFA Kent Core Fine Arts; KHU Kent Core Humanities; KMC Kent Core Mathematics and Critical Reasoning; KSS Kent Core Social Sciences; WIC Writing Intensive
1. Minimum C (2.000) grade required in DSCI 41510 to fulfill the writing-intensive requirement.