Five courses, completion of a phonics requirement and an acceptable score on the Ohio Department of Education-Educator Preparation "Teaching Reading 0204" Specialty Area Test are required for the Reading Endorsement in the state of Ohio.
- C&I 6/77310 Theory & Practice in Teaching Reading (3 HRS)
- C&I 6/77319 Diagnosis & Remediation of Reading Difficulties (3 HRS)
- C&I 6/77330 Reading in the Content Areas (3 HRS)
- C&I 6/77323 Clinical Practicum in Corrective Reading (4 HRS)
- C&I 6/77396 Individual Investigation in Reading (1 HR Online)
- MCED 50005 Effective Use of Phonics in Reading Intersession
(If previously completed coursework includes a phonics course or its equivalent, a 3 credit hour waiver will be approved for MCED 50005)
Candidates seeking Ohio licensure must score above the State minimum on the Ohio Assessment for Educators content assessment area: Teaching Reading 0204. Please refer to the Ohio Department of Education-Educator Preparation website for more information on assessments specific to licensure type.
CHECK BACK FOR NEW READING ENDORSEMENT LOCATIONS!
OFF CAMPUS COURSES
Kent State University works in partnership with school districts to facilitate off-campus professional development programming for educators in the field. Off-campus cohorts offer reduced graduate tuition for courses instructed at a convenient location within the district. Generally, two courses are offered per term, allowing the Reading Endorsement to be completed in approximately one year.
CONTACT INFORMATIONAcademic Program Contact: Dr. Denise Morgan, email@example.com, 330-672-0663
Graduate Admission Contact: Nancy Miller, firstname.lastname@example.org, 330-672-0557