Skip Navigation
Phone directory
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).


I'm having trouble navigating the special education website. Where do I find the programs that are offered, the classes that are required, and how to apply?

Please view the screen cast created to help you navigate the Special Education website and answer preliminary questions. (Please note: the Special Education website is currently undergoing changes to the layout, so please keep in mind specific advice regarding navigation advice may have changed. When the site update has been completed, a new screen cast will be available).

What are the admissions requirements for programs in special education?

Admissions requirements vary by program and degree. Here is a list of requirements for undergraduate programs and graduate programs.

Where can I find an application for admission?

Undergraduate students will need to make an application for admission through the Kent State Admissions Office. On their site, you can request additional information, learn about financial aid and housing options, and learn more about the university.

Graduate students can apply online through the Graduate Student Services page.

International students can learn more about the admission requirements and process through the Kent State International Admissions home page.

What is the Praxis and where can I find information about the test? When do I need to take it?

The number and type of Praxis tests you must take varies depending on the licensure you are seeking. All students seeking to teach in the state of Ohio must pass general and program-specific Praxis tests. The Vacca Office of Student Services provides a great deal of information for students related to licensure in the state of Ohio.

Can I get an intervention specialist license if I don't have an undergraduate degree in education?

The answer is YES....Be sure to be connected to the internet and have speakers or a headset to learn more from a screen cast on how you can receive an intervention specialist license at the graduate level.

Is the GRE required if i want to get a master's degree in special education or an intervention specialist license?

As of Fall 2009, the GRE is no longer required for the special education master's degree or intervention specialist licenses.

Where can I find information about Student Teaching?

Check the Vacca Office of Student Services teaching section .

I need to sign-up for 9 hours of student teaching but when I registered, there were only 4 credit hours shown. What do I do? 

You can change the number of credit hours directly in Flashline. Directions are provided here.

What type of financial aid programs and services are available to students?

Undergraduate and graduate students can learn more about funding the cost of their college experience at Kent State's Student Financial Aid Office.

Certain scholarships are also available for Kent State Students and can be found on the Admission's web site.

Where do I go for advising, assistance with graduation requirements and information about my progress?

In the College of Education and Graduate School of Education, all of this information and more is available through the Vacca Office of Student Services , located in 304 White Hall.

VOSS can also be reached by telephone at (330) 672-2862 1 or by emailing

What housing and residence life services are available?

Housing and residence life information can be found by contacting Kent State Residence Services or by calling (800) 706-8941 or (330) 672-7000.

Where can I learn more about student employment, work study, and graduate assistantships?

Kent State provides numerous student employment options. For information about work study, on-campus student work, or graduate assistantships, please contact the Office of Graduate Student Services

Interested students may also wish to contact Student Financial Aid (SFA) by calling (330) 672-2972 or by visiting SFA at 103 Michael Swartz Center.

Where can I learn about student teaching sites, internships, and professional development centers around the Kent State area?

The Kent State Office of Professional Development and Outreach can answer these questions and many more. You can reach them by phone at (330) 672-0538 or by visiting their office in 209 White Hall.

Text Only Options

Top of page

Text Only Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a UsableNet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.