Scheduling Events and Facilities
1. Written, electronic or oral requests for facilities can be made to the Scheduling Office within the timeline below.
a. Kent Student Center
i. Kent Student Center general meeting facilities: 24 hours in advance.
ii. Kent Student Center Ballroom, Kiva and Dining Room: minimum of 2 weeks in advance.
iii. Kent Student Center 2nd floor windows: minimum 2 weeks’ notice and a letter to the Student Center Advisory Board must be submitted for approval.
iv. Rathskeller: minimum 2 weeks’ notice and during the academic term must go through CSI (Center for Student Involvement) and then the Scheduling Office. During summer and winter breaks you would contact the Scheduling Office directly.
b. Academic Buildings
i. 1 week in advance for all buildings with the exception of Cartwright Hall, Rockwell Hall & Moulton Hall
1. Cartwright Hall & Rockwell Hall: 1 month prior to event
2. Moulton Hall: 2 weeks prior to event
c. Outdoor Areas
i. 1 week in advance
2. Confirmed confirmations will be sent via e-mail once final arrangements are made with the Scheduling Office.
3. Cancellations must be given to the Scheduling Office IMMEDIATELY. Organizations or departments will be held responsible for any charges incurred due to non-cancellations. If an off-campus group fails to cancel an event, forfeiture of further meeting times or a rental fee may be charged.
4. Credit classes are not permitted to be held in the Kent Student Center. The Scheduling Office does not schedule meeting spaces for regular credit classes.
1. Food service arrangements must be made with Banquet Sales at 330-672-3305 after a facility has been scheduled for the event. No outside caterers are permitted unless contracted by Banquet Sales. Any tickets sold must clearly state the cost of meals.
2. You are NOT permitted to bring your own food or beverages into the Kent Student Center.
3. Food service orders must be placed three weeks in advance of an event to guarantee selected menu. A guaranteed number of people and serving time is required three working days prior to an event.
a. During the summer all conference clients are required to submit final counts seven working days in advance.
Audio Visual Equipment/Setup /Labor
1. All events requesting audio visual equipment should contact the Scheduling Office at 330-672-3202 to secure availability of equipment for the event.
2. All events held within the Kent Student Center Ballroom and Kiva will require an Operator at the charge of $15.00 per hour.
3. Any group requesting service before or after normal building hours must pay $75.00 per hour or any part thereof to keep the building open. Requests must also be submitted two weeks in advance.
4. Any rearrangement of the standard setup in a room in the Student Center must be done by members of the Operations staff. There will be a minimum labor charge of $10.00 for setup changes.
5. A group leaving a meeting room in disorder is liable for a charge of labor required to clean and reset the room with a minimum charge of $10.00.
1. If an event involves charges for equipment, food or other services, the student group must obtain a VIP form from the Center for Student Involvement. All equipment, set up & food service needs must be listed on the VIP along with the signature of the group’s advisor and CSI liaison must sign the VIP form.
General Policies, Regulations, and Guidelines
1. Facilities may not be used for any commercial purpose or for the financial benefit of any one individual.
2. Any group or individual sponsoring an event in University facilities assumes all responsibility connected with the event. The Student Center or the University assumes no responsibility.
3. The University reserves the right to assign and/or reassign facilities to assure the most appropriate utilization of University facilities.
4. University facilities are reserved in the order in which requests are received, with consideration being given to the size of the group and space availability. All facilities MUST be scheduled through the Scheduling Office by calling 330-672-3202.
5. All groups are advised that use of the following items are strictly prohibited in all Kent State University facilities: open flames (e.g., candles, lighters, torches, etc.), combustible vegetation (e.g., hay, straw, evergreen trees, etc.), pyrotechnic devices, smoke/fog/haze machines and dry ice. Groups with events that disregard this notification will be subject to immediate shutdown of their event by the University fire marshal and be subject to loss of future scheduling privileges.
6. Decorating/Posting: The use of glitter/confetti is strictly prohibited within the Kent Student Center and all other University facilities. In addition, no tape, glue, tacks or nails may be put on the walls, windows, doors or building structures.
7. All groups using University facilities are expected to adhere to all University policies, regulations and guidelines and all local, state and federal laws. Failure to comply with these regulations may result in the forfeiture of the privileges of utilizing University facilities.
8. Smoking Policy: Under state law, smoking within any public building is prohibited within the State of Ohio. Under University policy, anyone wishing to smoke must be farther than 20 feet away from any University building.
9. Tripods are permitted in the Kent Student Center first floor lobby for signs advertising events to be held in the Kent Student Center on that particular day. Tripods in other areas of the building may be used only for directional purposes only.
10. No suspended signs or banners are permitted in the lobby areas.
Lobbies & Tables
1. General Policies
1. Tables in the Kent Student Center lobbies will be assigned in the order of applications received and as long as table space is available to assure fair and equitable use of table space.
2. Table space can be scheduled for a period of five days in succession. If lobby space is desired for more than five days in succession, a new request for each five-day period can be made on/after last day of each proceeding five-day period. If the space in the specific area requested is available, it will then be reassigned for another five days.
3. Table space may be requested on a one-day per week basis during a term and will be assigned on the basis of one-day per week for five weeks in succession. On/after the last day of the fifth week another request will be necessary for reassignment.
4. A member of the sponsoring group must be present at the table at all times.
2. Audio – Visual Equipment (sound)
1. Acceptable locations: 1st floor lobby bookstore side only and 2nd floor lobby space.
2. The use of audio-visual equipment will be permitted under the following conditions.
i. The use of equipment and designated tables are properly scheduled.
ii. In addition, audio-visual presentations shall be no longer than fifteen minutes at a time with at least a fifteen-minute interval in between each presentation. There shall be no more than two presentations per hour. All audio-visual presentations exceeding the time frames set forth shall be properly scheduled in an appropriate meeting facility.
3. Bullhorns and portable public address systems are prohibited in the lobbies.
3. Free Space and Stairs
1. The stairs may not be blocked by individuals sitting or performing on the stairs.
2. Special requests varying from those procedures should be brought before the Kent Student Center Advisory Board, or in the case of an emergency, the director of the Kent Student Center for consideration. All scheduling and use of lobby space in the Kent Student Center must be kept with the University, state, and federal regulations and laws.
4. Sales and solicitation polices and outside vendors
1. Individuals may not solicit among the general University population while on University property unless as part of a project sponsored by a registered student organization or University department.
2. Sales and solicitation are permitted inside the Kent Student Center only from behind tables, which have been previously reserved through the Scheduling Office. Outdoor sales and solicitation are permitted provided that free flow of traffic is not impeded and the location has been properly reserved through the Scheduling Office. Outside vendors are not permitted in Academic buildings.
3. The sale or distribution of food and ingestible products is governed by University policies and procedures. Statements regarding the sale and distribution of food are NOT PERMITTED without receiving prior approval.
4. Each outside vendor will be assessed a $250.00 dollar per table, per day, rental charge which must be paid at the time of scheduling.
i. $125.00 facility rental
ii. $125.00 to sponsoring group