Fire Survival Procedures
If You Discover a Fire
- If at all possible, quickly attempt to extinguish a small fire. Then immediately report the incident to Kent State University Police Services by dialing 9-1-1 EMERGENCY.
- If the fire cannot be quickly extinguished, evacuate the building. Upon exiting, ACTIVATE THE NEAREST FIRE ALARM PULL STATION.
- Once safely evacuated, CALL 9-1-1 EMERGENCY to report the fire.
Residence Hall Fire Alarm Systems
When activated, the fire alarm system in the building causes horns to sound continuously throughout the building. Signals are also transmitted to either Campus Environment and Operations' Building Automation and Control Center or Kent State University Police Services, who will then notify the City of Kent Fire Department.
Fire alarm pull stations are activated by completely pulling down the lever located at the lower half of the fire alarm station cover. Fire alarm pull stations are located near the exits. Depending upon the fire protection system installed in a specific building, fire alarms could also be automatically tripped by actuation of smoke or heat detectors or by the release of sprinkler systems.
Fire Evacuation Instructions
- Whenever the fire alarm sounds, evacuate the building immediately. If it can be done safely, attempt to close all windows in your area before leaving.
- Close the door as you leave, making certain that you have your keys with you. In Residence Halls at night, turn room lights on to signal your evacuation.
- Help stop the spread of smoke and flames by closing doors as you pass through the building.
- Move quickly to the nearest exit. DO NOT RUN OR PUSH.
- DO NOT USE THE ELEVATOR.
- If you encounter heavy smoke, change your exit route to the next available exit.
- After leaving the building, move a safe distance away - at least 75 feet.
- Horseplay will not be tolerated at any time. Life safety is serious business!
NO ONE IS PERMITTED TO RE-ENTER AN EVACUATED BUILDING UNTIL IT IS DETERMINED SAFE TO DO SO BY THE CITY OF KENT FIRE DEPARTMENT AND/OR KENT STATE UNIVERSITY POLICE SERVICES.
Fire Safety Standards
- Fire doors in hallways and stairwells must be kept closed at all times, in case of smoke.
- If you are in a room where a fire starts, leave quickly. Close the door to confine the blaze. Do not lock the door.
- If you wake up at night and smell smoke or hear the sound of a fire alarm, do not open your door until you feel it with your hand. If it is hot, do not open it. This is a sign that you cannot survive long enough to get through the corridor and down the stairs. In that case, go to the window and call for help. DO NOT JUMP.
- Know the locations of all fire exits, fire alarm pull stations and fire extinguishers.
Emergency Phone Number is 9-1-1
Follow the evacuation plan established for your building.
Always try to remain calm.
Never re-enter a burning building to try to save your personal possessions.
For additional information
Please contact the Department of Public Safetys' Fire Prevention office at (330)672-2345 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.