Skip Navigation
Phone directory
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a FLASHcard?

The FLASHcard is your Kent State University ID card and more. Your card will let you take materials out of the Kent State University libraries, access services such as Student Recreation and Wellness Center & athletic events, and purchase goods and services both on and off campus. If you have a dining plan, you will use your FLASHcard to purchase meals in our dining halls. You may also deposit money on your FLASHcard and create a debit account. This plan, now known as FLASHcash (previously called the Golden FLASH Card), will allow you to make purchases both on and off campus wherever the FLASHcard is accepted.

How do I get a FLASHcard?

In order to get your Kent State University FLASHcard you must complete a FLASHcard Application form and come to room 104 in the Kent Student Center with an official state photo ID or Passport. We are located just off the Kent Student Center lobby next to Huntington Bank and are open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. If your are a distance learning student, and can not come to the Flashcard Office or one of the branch campuses office, you can follow the instructions on the Flashcard Distance Learning Application.

What is the Residence Hall Dining Plan?

The Dining Plan is an essential part of the Kent State experience and without one a student could not get the full feel of the college atmosphere. Visit the Dining Services website to view your dining plan options. To add or change a Dining Plan call the FLASHcard Office at 330-672-2273. To petition to be released from a Dining Pan Contract fill out this form: Dining Plan petition form.

What is FLASH Cash?

FLASHcash is a prepaid purchase plan ideal for students, faculty, staff, or anyone who frequently visits the Kent State University Campus. It works like a credit card in reverse. You make an initial deposit to your account, and charges are deducted as you make purchases, much like a debit card issued from your bank. Money on this account carries over yearly and is fully refundable.

IMAGE: Kent Students
Kent Students


Mon - Fri: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sat - Sun: Closed


First Floor Kent Student Center, next to Huntington Bank

Contact the FLASHcard Office | 330-672-2273

How do I add money to my account?

There are four different ways to add money to your accounts:
  1. Add Financial Aid: Visit the Bursars office at 131 Schwartz Center and request to have your financial aid deposited to your Flashcash account.
  2. Visit the FLASHcard office, room 104 in the Kent Student Center and make a deposit via check, credit card, or cash.
  3. Use a Value-Port (an ATM type machine that accepts cash). There are three Value-Port Machines that you can choose from. One is located in the lobby on the first floor of the Kent State University Library. Another Value-Port machine can be found in the first floor lobby of the Kent Student Center by  the FLASHcard Office window. The Third Value-Port machine is located in the Business Building Adjacent to the computer lab on the 2nd Floor.
  4. You can also add to your account by going online at MANAGE ACCOUNT.

Do I need any other ID?

No. The FLASHcard is the only ID you will need on the Kent State University campus, although it does not hurt to carry another form of personal identification.

What if my FLASHcard is lost or stolen?

The first thing you MUST do is report it to the FLASHcard Office. This is especially important if you have money on your account. There are a number of ways to report a missing card. First you can stop by the FLASHcard office and both report your FLASHcard missing and pick up a new card at the same time. If it is a weekday during the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., and you are unable to stop in at the time you realize that you card is gone, you can call the FLASHcard office and they will remove your card from the system. When you have time you will have to stop by to pick up a new FLASHcard. Finally, if the FLASHcard office is closed at the time your card is lost or stolen, you can "turn off" your account with a cashier of any Dining Services location.You may also turn off your card by going online at MANAGE ACCOUNT.

No matter how you "turn off" your card, you will need to bring one form of photo identification and a replacement fee of $10 to the FLASHcard Office in order to pick up your new FLASHcard.

What if my FLASHcard is damaged?

Bring your damaged card to the FLASHcard Office. You will be issued a replacement free of charge.

What if I have money left on my FLASHcash account?

If you have money left on your FLASH Cash account at the end of the semester, it will transfer over to the following term. The balance on your FLASH Cash account may be refunded back to you. To obtain a refund please call the FLASHcard office at 330-672-CARD (2273).

FLASHcash accounts with no activity during a twelve-month period are considered inactive. Inactive accounts with balances of less than $10 will be closed and the remaining balance forfeited. Inactive accounts with balances over $10 will be assessed an annual $10 service charge.

Refunds are processed when:

  1. The accounts balance is $10 or more AND
  2. A written refund request is submitted
  3. A $5 check-processing fee will be deducted from the refund.
Text Only Options

Top of page

Text Only Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a UsableNet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.