Skip Navigation
Phone directory
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

History

Celebrating 75 Years of Excellence in the Honors College
  • Established:1933

    First thesis student graduate:1934
  • 1930s-40s

    Largely a thesis opportunity, our beginnings coincided with the establishment of the College of Arts & Sciences in what had been a normal school begun in 1910. Despite a war-time hiatus from 1942-48, 31 theses were completed during these two decades, most in arts and sciences with a few in education. Some graduates became international scholars, and at least two returned to Kent for their faculty careers.
  • 1950s

    The thesis emphasis continued as the KSU population swelled and new programs were added; all but these were in humanities, and 5 of the 13 thesis students returned later to become distinguished faculty members,one as Honors dean.
  • 1960s

    This was a turning-point decade for the university.

    Tremendous expansion of academic programs occurred with the addition of a number of Ph.D. degrees. In 1960 Honors became a program, fully available to all majors and in 1965 college status was achieved with the appointment of the first dean. The number of thesis students increased to 91 (though by now it had become an option), and a large number of Honors versions of departmental courses began to be offered. The first Honors scholarships were created and, Honors began to coordinate the high school early-admission program and Advanced Placement.
  • 1970s

    This decade started with the creation of the required cornerstone, two-semester, 8-hour Freshman Honors Colloquium, designed to replaced freshman English. On May 4, 1970, the Honors dean took leadership in crowd control. One of the four slain students was an Honors freshman. Following the shootings, Honors became the home of Experimental Programs, established to provide a large array of courses on social issues taught by volunteer faculty and community members (for about 15 years we were known as the Honors and Experimental College). More special-topics courses in Honors were offered in addition to Honors courses in departments, and departments were asked to design Honors clusters for their majors. Honors took on coordination of the university artist/lecture series. A major test competition for scholarships was held for a number of years (later abandoned), and the Creative Artist Award freshman scholarship was established. KSU hosted one of the annual NCHC conferences and later, the Mid-east Honors Association conference. 
  • 1980s and 1990s

    The last two decades of the century saw continuous growth in the Honors population to over 1,300 and to five of the seven regional campuses. The 1980s placed the university's new general education program under the oversight of Honors. The scholarship budget and recruitment programs expanded greatly, and several endowed scholarships were created. Increasing numbers of Honors students majored in non-Arts & Sciences fields, and increasing numbers held part-time jobs. Three study-abroad programs were developed, two remaining at present. New curriculum options were introduced to provide flexibility to students. Staff was expanded significantly, despite the loss of the assistant dean position in 1991, to handle the increasingly heavy advising load and program coordinating duties. Honors became the home of the University Teaching Council. For the first time Honors moved into a consolidated living-learning center--through a state Program Excellence Award--and matured to the point of satisfying the "Sixteen Characteristics of a Fully-Developed Honors Program." Extensive efforts were made to re-connect with Honors alumni. The Honors College Alumni Chapter was formed and the Distinguished Honors Alumni Award was instituted. 
  • 2003

    The "Intellectual Frolic" marking the celebration of 70 years of Honors education at Kent State University was a huge success. A large group of students, alumni, and university friends gathered to hear outstanding speakers (Owen Lovejoy, John West, and Chuck Richie), view samples of work done by students and alumni, and renew old friendships. Several special friends of the Honors College were recognized with awards of excellence for their stewardship, scholarship, and service (Gary and Cynthia Bengier, Ed Canda, and Jeff Whipple). The "nuts and berries" lunch gave everyone plenty of time to chat and catch up on lives since their Kent State University days. If you know someone who attended, ask him or her about the secret alumni oath!
  • 2006

    After more than three years of discussion and planning, the campus community celebrated the grand opening of the new Honors College facility. Located in the historic heart of the Kent State campus, the Honors College is situated at the juncture of the newly rebuilt Stopher and Johnson Residence Halls. This 10,500 square-foot facility contains classrooms, library/lounge areas, gallery space, an expanded central lobby, and advising offices. The Honors Complex  is a public commitment to the value the University places on the special undergraduate Honors experience.
  • 2008

    The Honors College encourages the global learning associated with off-campus programs. The creation of The Honors Semester in Florence program is designed to offer challenging and engaging experiences at Kent State's historic 13th century Palazzo dei Cherchi in Florence, Italy. A wide selection of Kent State classes is available, three of which are specifically designed for Honors students. 
Text Only Options

Top of page


Text Only Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a UsableNet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.