Skip Navigation
Phone directory
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

IMAGE: FlexSave Logo

Flexible Spending


Your benefit coverage at Kent State University provides coverage for a variety of expenses. Still, there are some types of expenses not covered under the program. That's why we offer a program called Flexible Spending Accounts that let you use pre-tax dollars to pay for certain health care and dependent care expenses. 

Questions regarding the flexible spending account may be answered by viewing the FlexSave website at

There are two types of flexible spending accounts available at Kent State:
  • Health Care Flexible Spending Account - allows you to reimburse yourself for certain medical, dental and vision expenses not covered under the health care plans.

    Many health care expenses that your medical, dental and vision plans do not pay can be reimbursed through a Health Care Flexible Spending Account (HCFSA). Some eligible expenses under the HCFSA include: deductibles and co-payments under your medical and dental plans; orthodontia expenses; eyeglass and contact lenses expenses in excess of the vision plan coverage; routine physical examinations, etc.

    Keep in mind, only expenses that have not been paid by your medical, dental or vision plan, or any other medical, dental or vision plan, are eligible under the HCFSA.

  • Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account - allows you to reimburse yourself for eligible day care expenses for your eligible dependents.
The DCFSA reimburses you for the care of your eligible dependents (childcare expenses for ages 13 and under) that allow you, and your spouse if you are married, to work or attend school full-time. An eligible dependent is a child under age 13. Older dependents, such as a spouse, parent or older child, are also eligible if they are physically or mentally incapable of caring for themselves, reside in your home at least eight hours per day, and are claimed as your dependents for income tax purposes.

Examples of eligible expenses under the DCFSA may include, but not limited to:

  • Day care
  • After-school care
  • Home health worker

Services may be provided in or out of your home (but not in a nursing home) by someone who is not your dependent for income tax purposes. Day care centers caring for six or more children must be licensed. In order to receive tax-free reimbursement, the federal government requires you to provide the Tax Identification Number (TIN) of your dependent care provider. The TIN for an individual is his or her Social Security Number.

Flexible spending accounts are an excellent way to set aside money for your vision, dental and medical expenses or dependent care expenses and save taxes at the same time.

Please note: Eligible expenses and requirements are subject to IRS regulations.  

NOTE:  **If an employee wishes to utilize this benefit, the employee MUST re-enroll EACH YEAR they wish to participate.

Assistive Options

Top of page

Assistive Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a Usablenet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.