Skip Navigation
Phone directory
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

Life Events


Since many of the university’s benefits are governed by IRS code, there are rules that govern when employees may change a benefit election throughout the year. Generally, employees must have a life status change or life event (i.e., marriage, divorce, birth of a child), in order to make a change during the calendar year. An employee must notify the Benefits staff within 31 days of the life event; otherwise, they may have to wait until the next open enrollment to make a benefit change selection.

For questions, please contact the Benefits Office at 330-672-3107 or


  • Birth of a baby/Adoption
  • Death
  • Disability
  • Divorce
  • Legal Guardianship/Custody
  • Job Status Change/Loss of Coverage
  • Marriage
  • Domestic Partnerships
  • Domestic Relations Orders

When you enroll in benefits, your elections remain in effect to the end of the calendar year and you cannot make any changes until the next Open Enrollment period, which is usually in October. However, if you experience a qualified family status change during the calendar year, you may be able to make additional benefit changes that corresponds with the change.

Important Deadline

To change your coverage(s) when a qualified family status change occurs, you must act within 31 days of the qualifying event. Otherwise, you will have to wait for the next Open Enrollment period in which you are eligible to participate and the change(s) become effective the following January 1.

Below please find additional updates to consider when you have a qualifying event:

Personal Information

To update personal information you will need to complete a Change of Employee Personal Information form in order to change any of these items: name, address, phone, marital status, emergency contact, add or delete dependents.

You may also update your information online by logging into Flashline, and clicking on the MyHR tab and selecting Personal Information under Employee Detail.

Please note: To change your name, you must provide a copy of your marriage certificate (if recently married) or divorce decree, along with a copy of your new security card with your new name listed.

Employee Benefits

To add a spouse/domestic partner or dependents to health insurance, you must complete the Dependent Verification form and provide supporting documentation.

Flexible Spending Accounts

If you wish to enroll in a Health Care or Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account or make changes to your benefits coverage, you must complete the Flexible Spending Account Enrollment Form for the current year.

Life Insurance/Change or Add Beneficiary

If you need to make changes to your life insurance, supplemental life insurance or your beneficiary(ies) you must complete The Standard's Enrollment and Change form and submit it to the University Benefits office in Heer Hall.

Retirement Plan

OPERS, STRS or ARP Providers:  To make changes to personal information you must contact the retirement system you are enrolled with directly. Please keep in mind that the university cannot change your personal information with your retirement system. 

Retirement Contact Information:

OPERS: 800-222-7377   
STRS:  888-227-7877
ARP (Alternative Retirement Plans):  Contact your administrator to advise them of any changes in your personal information. 
403(b) Tax Deferred Annuity:  Contact your administrator to advise them of any changes in your personal information.
457 Ohio Public Deferred Compensation Plans:  Contact your administrator to advise them of any changes in your personal information.

Tuition Benefits

If your spouse/domestic partner or dependent is no longer eligible for the benefit, please contact the Benefits office (330-672-3017) to terminate the tuition waiver. To enroll for the tuition waiver benefit you must use the Tuition Waiver Workflow found in your Flashline on the "My Action Items" tab.

Death Benefits

Death of Employee/Dependent:   Beneficiaries should contact the Benefits office at 330-672-3107 for information regarding group life insurance, supplemental insurance, retirement information, continuation of medical coverage for dependents through COBRA, and for assistance in obtaining any remaining compensation from the university.

Questions about mid-year changes affecting your Kent State University benefits should be directed to HR/Benefits at 330-672-3107 or

Assistive Options

Top of page

Assistive Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a Usablenet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.