Skip Navigation
Phone directory
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).


F1 Visa | F2 Visa | J1 Visa | J2 Visa

On Campus Employment:

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has limited part-time employment for international students to no more than 20 hours per week during the semester, or when a student is taking classes during the summer term.  Allowing an international student to work more than 20 hours per week could have serious implications for the student and the University. International students may work up to 28 hours a week on campus when classes are not in session (winter and spring break and summer if the student is not registered for classes). International students may incur overtime and should be compensated at time and one-half per hour worked.

NOTE: On-campus employers may interview and offer employment to international students without a Social Security number, but MAY NOT allow the student to begin work before they have completed the required employment eligibility forms through the Career Services Center.

The website that Kent State University uses to allow students to search for jobs on campus is called CampusWorks. CampusWorks is where students log can log on and establish their eligibility to work on campus and accept job offers! Visit Career Services website for more information: 

NOTE: If you are a J-1 Student you must get approval from an ISSS advisor before you begin working. If you are on a J-2 visa, you must apply for an EAD card in order to work.

F1 Students

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

CPT must be “an integral part of an established curriculum.” Federal regulations define it as “alternate work/study, internship, co-operative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum which is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school.” Please read more in the: CPT Guide

See 8 CFR§ Sec. 214.2(f)(10)(i)

A student is eligible for CPT if:

1.    He or she is in valid F-1 status at the time of application and has been in full-time status for one academic year preceding the CPT application.

2.    The student abides by all rules surrounding full-time course registration while on CPT. Students are not required to be registered full-time during summer.

3.    The CPT experience falls into one of the following four categories:

§  The student is required by his/her program to be engaged in the proposed experience.

§ The proposed experience is an alternate requirement of the degree program. For graduates, this may be dissertation/thesis requiring an internship/fieldwork experience.

§  The proposed experience is facilitated through a cooperative education agreement between KSU and the proposed employer and is an integral part of the degree program.

§  The experience is an optional independent study, meaning you are receiving academic credit for it. It is viewed by the student’s major department to be integral to the student’s degree program.

Please Note:

1.    ISSS must approve CPT before student can begin employment/internship.

2.    CPT can only be authorized for one academic semester at a time.

3.    A student with 12 months or more of full-time CPT is not eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT).

Graduate students whose degree requires immediate participation in CPT may apply after arriving in the U.S. and registering with International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS). They do not need to be in status for one academic year.

OPT (Optional Practical Training)

F-1 students studying at colleges, universities, conservatories, or seminaries may qualify for practical training, which allows them to engage in temporary employment to gain practical experience in their field of study. Please read more in the: OPT Guide


An F-1 student could be eligible for two kinds of Optional Practical Training:

1.       Pre-Completion OPT, prior to the completion of all coursework excluding thesis or dissertation credits:

a)        You have been enrolled as a full-time student in valid F-1 status for at least one academic year.

b)       Your proposed experience (internship, work, practicum, etc.) is directly related to your major field of study.

c)        You will not be working more than 20 hours per week while school is in session.

2.        Post-Completion OPT, after the completion of all necessary coursework excluding thesis or dissertation credits:

a)        You have been lawfully enrolled as a full-time student in valid F-1 status for at least one academic year.

b)       Your proposed experience (internship, work, practicum, etc.) is directly related to your major field of study.

c)        You will be working up to 40 hours per week.

F2 Students

Dependents of students on F-1 visa who are in the U.S. on an F-2 visa are not authorized to work in the U.S.

J1 Students

Academic Training

Academic Training is work, training, or experience related to a student’s field of study. Appropriate activities vary over disciplines. Academic Training may involve sequential or simultaneous activities, either paid or unpaid, with several employers, U.S. or foreign, provided the application and approval procedures are followed for each employer and activity, and the time limits are not exceeded. You will need to fill out the Academic Training Form


1. Academic Training cannot be granted for a period longer than the time spent studying.

2. The student has continually maintained status.

3. The student is in a good academic standing (2.0 GPA or greater).

4. Academic Training must be done with a specific employer or training site, and be directly related to the major field of study listed on the DS-2019.

J2 Students

J-2 dependents may request employment from USCIS. The income for such employment must be used to supplement or enhance the family's customary recreational and cultural activities and related travel, among other things. Employment will not be authorized if this income is needed to support the J-1 principal. Support for the J-1 principal and dependent(s) must be provided by the J-1.

Application Procedure

1.    Make an appointment with ISSS and bring the following:

2.    Completed Form I-765

3.    Check or money order in the amount of $380.00 made payable to the USCIS,

4.    Photocopy of your J-1's DS -2019,

5.    Photocopy of your (J-2's) DS - 2019,

6.    A written statement, with any supporting evidence showing that your employment is not necessary to support the J-1 but is for other purposes such as cultural activities and sightseeing trips,

7.    Photocopy of both sides of the Form(s) I-94(s) of the J-1 and the J-2 dependent(s) and a copy of the front and back of your I-94 card. If you entered the U.S. after May 2013, visit: 

8.    Two 2" by 2" passport-sized photos.

If permission for employment is authorized, an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) is issued and is valid for any kind of full-time or part-time employment for the period of time stated on the EAD. The employment authorization is valid only if the J-1 principal is maintaining status.

Text Only Options

Top of page

Text Only Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a UsableNet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.