- IMAGE: A Navy SNJ-4 trainer taxies to the runway during a previous Aviation Heritage Fair at the Kent State University Airport.
- IMAGE: <p>Visitors at a previous Aviation Heritage Fair look over an airplane parked at the Kent State University Airport.</p>
- IMAGE: A visitor at a previous Aviation Heritage Fair checks out a vintage Navy SNJ-4 trainer at the Kent State University Airport. The plane belongs to the Cleveland Wing of the Commemorative Air Force.
- IMAGE: <p>&nbsp;A pilot taxies a Navy SNJ-4 trainer to the runway during a previous Aviation Heritage Fair at the Kent State University Airport.</p>
- IMAGE: A Douglass DC-3/C-47 Cargo plane sits on the tarmac at the Kent State University Airport during a previous annual Aviation Heritage Fair.
- IMAGE: A family takes a close-up look at a Navy SNJ-4 trainer during a previous Aviation Heritage Fair.
Aviation Heritage Fair Takes to the Skies
The 15th Annual Aviation Heritage Fair will be held Saturday, Sept. 11, from 7 a.m. until 5 p.m. at the Kent State University Airport, located at 4020 Kent Road in Stow. The fair is hosted by Kent State University’s Aeronautics Program and the Stow-Munroe Falls Kiwanis Club.
The fair officially begins at 7 a.m. with a hot air balloon launch immediately followed by a pancake breakfast hosted by the Stow-Munroe Kiwanis Club. Tickets for the breakfast are $6. The Kiwanis Club also will participate in the awarding of its annual aviation scholarship, which will be presented at 12:15 p.m. by the Stow-Munroe Falls Kiwanis Club president with help from Kent State President Lester A. Lefton and Dr. Donald Bubenzer, interim dean of Kent State’s College of Technology.
Aircraft on display will include several World War II aircraft, like a B-25 Yankee Warrior and the Commemorative Air Force’s SNJ-4. Also present will be a helicopter simulator for the public to try.
An airport flyover will take place between 1 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. and feature a C-130 from the 910th Airlift Wing (910 AW) in Youngstown, Ohio.
The fair, which was conceived by a Kent State student aviation club, has been through several iterations over the years. It is now run by the faculty, staff and students of the university’s Aeronautics Program with help from the Stow-Munroe Falls Kiwanis Club.
Event admission and parking are free. Airplane rides are $30 per person or $75 for three people. Those interested in airplane rides must register at the sign-up tent upon arrival. Carnival food and beverages will be available for sale throughout the day.
The fair will take place rain or shine, although some events are subject to change due to inclement weather. For more information, visit the Aviation Heritage Fair website at www.aviationheritagefair.com.
Due to FAA regulations, the skydiving event, a section takeoff and missing man formation flyover have been canceled.