- IMAGE: The Golden Flashes scramble for a loose ball while playing tough defense against an opponent in the Memorial Athletic and Convocation Center.
- IMAGE: Kent State's Carlton Guyton leads the offense down the court during the second half, against the College of Charleston, in the Memorial Athletic and Convocation Center.
- IMAGE: The Golden Flashes prepare for a contest with the visiting College of Charleston in the Memorial Athletic and Convocation Center.
- IMAGE: Fans of the Kent State Golden Flashes cheer on the team during a game against Cleveland State University.
- IMAGE: Members of the Kent State Dance Team hit the floor during a timeout in the Memorial Athletic and Convocation Center.
Kent State vs.
March 2 on ESPN2
For the third consecutive year, the biggest rivalry in the Mid-American Conference (MAC) will be brought to the national spotlight this Friday, March 2, when Kent State hosts Akron on ESPN2 at 7 pm.
Tickets for the game are still available, but fans better act fast as the Memorial Athletic and Convocation Center has sold out the game in nine of the last 10 years. Get your tickets today by calling the Kent State ticket office at 330-672-2244.
Separated by a mere 14 miles, Kent State and Akron have met in the final game of the regular season each of the past six seasons. The past four years the outcome of the game has decided the MAC regular season champion with the Golden Flashes winning titles in 2008, 2010 and 2011 while spoiling the Zips bid for their first league crown in 2009. The 2007 winner determined the MAC East Division Champion, and in 2006 Kent State won the MAC title despite losing the game to Akron.
Kent State leads the all-time series against Akron 69-64 and has won 30 of the last 33 meetings at home. The game will be the third appearance by Kent State on the ESPN family of networks this season.
This year the rivalry has extra significance as the winner will be awarded points in the newly created PNC Wagon Wheel Challenge. The PNC-sponsored rivalry has broaden the competition to include 15 NCAA varsity sports, with victories in each sport adding one point to the challenge standings. Heading into the contest Kent State currently owns a 5.0 to 3.5 lead in the standings. For more information on the Challenge visit www.wagonwheelchallenge.com.