- IMAGE: Pictured, see international students during class in the College of Technology.
- IMAGE: Members of the Kent State University Veteran's Campus Club pose around the rock on front campus.
- IMAGE: <p>Incoming freshmen share lunch following the 2010 Convocation.</p>
- IMAGE: Incoming freshmen share lunch in the newly renovated Risman Plaza following the 2010 Convocation.
- IMAGE: Members of the Army Reserve Officer Training Corps post the colors at a Kent State football game.
- IMAGE: Students at Kent State University at the Geauga Campus relax in a commons area before class.
- IMAGE: Paula Dancie, an instructor in the Shannon Rodgers and Jerry Silverman School of Fashion Design and Merchandising, helps a student with a sewing project in one of the labs in Rockwell Hall.
R U KSU?!
Dr. Alfreda Brown, vice president of Kent State University’s division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, has rolled out the 100 Commitments initiative to the leaders of the university. The goal is to help each unit in the university engage faculty and staff, as well as students and alumni, in embracing inclusive excellence. The 100 Commitments team recognizes that each person here comes from different backgrounds, has different experiences and acquires different opinions and characteristics. Through 100 Commitments, members of the Kent State community will explore, learn, share and understand the uniqueness of the people who make up our community.
100 Commitments begins with a celebration called "R U KSU?!". R U KSU?! is a three-day series of events that commences on Monday, Sept. 27, to celebrate the diverse collection of student organizations at Kent State. The universitywide kickoff takes place from noon to 3 p.m. along the University Esplanade in front of the MAC Center. The event will include games, contests, giveaways and a variety of live entertainment.
Additional events over the course of the three days include:
- R U Kouture?! Transcultural Fashion Show, Sept. 27, 7 -8:30 p.m., Kent Student Center Ballroom
- New Modern Family: A Conversation About Today's Family Structure, Sept. 28, 7:30-9 p.m., Kent Student Center Room 306
- True Beauty: Art Exhibit that Redefines the Concept of Beauty for Women of All Cultures Sept. 29, noon-3 p.m. Kent Student Center second floor and Multicultural Center
Each division of the university is encouraged to participate in the 100 Commitments initiative to demonstrate commitment to inclusive excellence at Kent State. Participants are asked to attempt at least half of the commitments, which are activities that allow them to explore, learn, share and understand things about the people with whom they interact every day at Kent State. The activities are fun and engaging, such as reading an article, watching a movie or engaging in conversation. Go to www.kent.edu/100commitments to learn more about participation and registration.
Members of the Kent State community also can show their commitment by planning diversity-related activities, programs and coursework or providing relevant articles, websites, organizations and attractions to email@example.com for inclusion in the 100 Commitment’s Online Resource Library. By doing so, your organization or event will be seen by those participating in 100 Commitments.
Register today and take this opportunity to help the university show its commitment to Inclusive Excellence by instituting 100 Commitments. Your participation in the 100 Commitments initiative will help fulfill the university's strategic plan and the inclusive excellence agenda in the division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
To learn more about RUKSU?!, go to www.kent.edu/diversity/100commitments/ruksu.pdf.
For more information about 100 Commitments, visit www.kent.edu/100commitments.