Sermon Texts Posting Sites Index (STPSI)
Center for the Study of Information and Religion
The Sermon Texts Posting Sites Index (STPSI) is a directory of blogs and congregational web sites used by religious leaders for posting the text of their weekly sermons. The directory links to these blogs and websites for easy access to sermon texts and includes the denominational affiliation and geographical location of each religious leader and the name of the congregation he or she serves.
STPSI currently links to more than 100 blogs and congregational web sites and new links are added on a continuing basis. To be included in STPSI, a blog or congregational web site must add full-text sermons on a weekly or near weekly basis and the sermons must be written by a religious leader serving a community of worship at which the sermon was originally delivered. Blogs and websites that feature only audio and/or video recordings of sermons will be included in the near future. CSIR will gladly add links to any blogs or congregational web sites that meet the criteria. Please send link recommendations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
STPSI enables researchers to quickly and easily subscribe to the blog or link to the congregational web sites and thus access a weekly sampling of sermon texts from around the country, by various denominational affiliations, geographic locations, or particular dates.
The current limitations of STPSI include:
- It provides access to only a fraction of the multitude of sermons delivered by religious leaders on a weekly basis.
- The links are exclusively for sites featuring sermon texts by Protestant Christian religious leaders serving congregations in the United States and Canada.
- It provides access to only the sermon messages prepared by religious leaders who prepare a full text as opposed to those who prepare only a sermon outline.
- It provides access to only the sermon texts of those religious leaders who post the full text of their sermons to the web.
- It is not in any way a representative sample of religious leaders or sermons from across the religious faith spectrum.
STPSI will not facilitate a scientific sampling of sermon texts, but will rather enable a snapshot of themes, topics, references, illustrations, and interpretations included in a small, unscientific sampling of sermon texts for any given week. The goal is for these snapshots to hint at potential patterns and clues regarding the use of information in the broader social conversation and construction of knowledge that occurs in communities of worship. Towards that end, CSIR announces the publication of a monthly report, the "Sermon Content Review" (SCR), that features a broad overview of sermon message contents on a monthly basis.