Each year 25 students are selected for program participation. To be considered a student must:
- Be admitted to the Kent Campus
- Have a minimum high school grade point average of 2.5
- Have a composite writing score of at least 17(ACT)/430 (SAT)
- Have not completed a writing course requirement through PSEOP, AP, Dual-Credit, CBE or CLEP
- Serious about their academics
Student Recruitment & Selection
Any African American, Latino American or Native American high school student admitted to the Kent State University main campus is eligible for participation. Annually, twenty-five students are selected for participation in the program and must participate in a competitive selection process. In order to be considered for the program, applicants must:
- Complete an application and one page essay
- Three (3) recommendations (must be completed by teacher within the school)
- Submit a one page essay and Original high school transcript
- Schedule for and participate in an interview session
STARS Interview Session
The interview session for the Academic STARS Program will be held April 5, 2014 for admission to the next year's program. The interview session provides an opportunity to share detailed information and answer questions regarding the program, as well as become acquainted with each applicant.
A parent, legal guardian or responsible adult MUST accompany the student to the interview. If you have any questions, please call Shannon Ashford at 330-672-8583 or Shana M. Lee at 330-672-8582.