Skip Navigation
Phone directory
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).


Q: What majors and minors are offered by the Department of Sociology?
A: The Department of Sociology offers a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology, a Bachelor of Arts in Criminology and Justice Studies, a minor in Sociology, and a minor in Criminology and Justice Studies. 

Q: How can I contact my advisor? 
A: You can make an appointment to see an advisor through Webscheduler. You can also contact your advisor by email at  

Q: Can I see my Department of Sociology advisor for my required advising appointment?
A: Yes, you can see your Department of Sociology advisor for your required advising appointment. 

Q: How can I find out about my Sociology or Criminology & Justice Studies transfer courses?
A: Transfer courses that specifically relate to Sociology and Criminology & Justice Studies will need to be evaluated by the Undergraduate Coordinator to determine equivalency to a Kent State University course. You should contact your Undergraduate Coordinator for Sociology or Criminology & Justice Studies.  

Q: Do I need to be a current student to see an advisor in the Department of Sociology?
A: No, you do not need to be a current student. We are available to serve all current Sociology majors and minors and Criminology and Justice Studies majors and minors, but we are happy to meet with prospective students or anyone who is curious to learn more about our undergraduate programs. 

Q: Can I do an internship for credit?
A: Yes, you can! The requirements may vary between programs, so it is important that you talk with an academic advisor or your undergraduate coordinator in Sociology or Criminology & Justice Studies if you would like to complete an internship.  

Q: If I’m a Sociology or Criminology & Justice Studies major, do I need to have a minor?
A: No, students are not required to have a minor to earn a BA at Kent State University. However many students find pursing a minor to be beneficial because it allows them to gain insight into another subject and diversify their educational experience. Also, courses taken towards a minor often count towards the upper division elective credit requirement.

Q: How do I know which minor is best for me?
A: If you choose to pursue a minor, there is no right or wrong choice. Some students select a minor based on their personal interests, while others pick a minor that compliments their major and further prepares them to reach their personal career objectives. To learn about options available to you, set up an appointment with your academic advisor.  

Q: How do I know what requirements I have to take?
A: You can find out your program requirements by viewing your GPS Audit. You can also view your roadmap, or set up an appointment with an academic advisor in the Department of Sociology.  

Q: How can I view my GPS Audit?
A: You view your GPS Audit through your FlashLine account. Log into FlashLine and choose the Student Tools & Courses tab. In the middle column, in the Graduation Planning System (GPS) area, choose Degree Audit and Plan. 

Q: How can I change my major?
A: You can change your major in your FlashLine account. Log into FlashLine, and then click on the Student Tools tab. The Request for Undergraduate Change of Program form can be found in the GPS channel.  

Q: Where can I find out what classes are being offered?
A: The Schedule of Classes can be found here.

Assistive Options

Top of page

Assistive Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a Usablenet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.