University Health Services
DeWeese Health Center
1500 Eastway Drive
Kent, Ohio 44242
Business Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Free and confidential online mental health screening
Depression is one of the most common presenting concerns among college students. According to research, nearly half of all college students have felt so depressed in the past year, that they found it difficult to study or function (halfofus.com).
Not everyone with depression experiences the same symptoms. The severity, frequency, and duration of symptoms vary depending on the individual.
Signs and symptoms may include:
- Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" feelings
- Feelings of hopelessness or pessimism
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, or helplessness
- Irritability, restlessness
- Loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable, including sex
- Fatigue and decreased energy
- Difficulty concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions
- Insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping
- Overeating, or appetite loss
- Thoughts of suicide, suicide attempts
- Aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems that do not ease even with treatment.