Eastern Shore Community College

Page content   Main Links

Sorry, your browser does not support JavaScript!

Federal and State Financial Aid Programs

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant program is the largest federal grant program. These grants provide a foundation to which aid from other sources may be added.  To qualify you must be an eligible undergraduate student who has not earned a bachelor’s or professional degree. Pell Grants are available for full-time students and part-time students who are taking as little as a one credit course.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)

This is a federal grant for undergraduates with exceptional need. Since these funds are limited, only Pell Grant recipients with the lowest Estimated Family Contribution will receive these grants which typically range from $400 to $900 at ESCC. Recipients must be enrolled at least half-time.

College Scholarship Assistance Program (CSAP)

This need-based state grant is available for Virginia students who are enrolled at least half-time in a qualified degree or certificate program. The student’s Estimated Family Contribution must be less than one-half of the total cost of attendance. At ESCC awards range from $300 to $800.

Commonwealth Awards

The Commonwealth Award program provides grants to qualified students who are domiciled residents of Virginia. Students must be enrolled at least half-time (6 semester credits) in a qualified degree or certificate program. The VCCS Grant must not exceed the cost of tuition and fee charges.

Virginia Guaranteed Assistance Program (VGAP)

Full-time Virginia-domiciled dependent students who graduated from a Virginia high school with at least a 2.5 grade point average may receive this state grant. Students must be a first-time freshman and may qualify for renewal awards up to three additional years.

Part-Time Tuition Assistance Program (PTAP)

This state-funded, need-based grant program is available for Virginia students who are enrolled in one to eight credits in a qualified degree or certificate program. The grant will cover up to the cost of tuition.

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

This program provides part-time jobs for students who demonstrate financial need and are enrolled at least half-time (6 credits). Student class schedules, curriculum, and job skills are considered in assigning jobs. Most employment is on-campus; however, additional employment opportunities have been established for off-campus community service employment. Students are paid every two weeks.

Virginia CommonHelp

CommonHelp is a web-based system that allows Virginia citizens 24/7 easy access to screen and apply for various types of public benefit programs.  These programs are not financial aid for college; however, they may provide assistance with other living expenses to make attending college more of a reality:

  • Cash Assistance (TANF)
  • Child Care Services
  • Energy Assistance (Fuel, Crisis and Cooling)
  • Food Assistance (SNAP)
  • Medical Assistance

The CommonHealth application requires much of the same information as the FAFSA, so it’s a good idea to complete them at the same time.

Assistive Options

Top of page

Assistive Options

Open the original version of this page.

Usablenet Assistive is a Usablenet product. Usablenet Assistive Main Page.