Enhance Your Skills in Shelter Medicine
2015-03-02_uf-sheltermed_about-research The Maddie’s® Shelter Medicine Program is pleased to offer an online Master of Science in Veterinary Medical Sciences with a Concentration in Shelter Medicine and the Maddie’s® Online Graduate Certificate in Shelter Medicine.
Learn best practices and broaden your career opportunities in this rapidly growing field where there is a high demand for well-trained practitioners to address the health and welfare issues unique to animal shelters.
Benefits of the Shelter Medicine Online Program
Shelter medicine is a new specialty area recognized by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). The current demand is great for well-trained veterinarians to address the health and welfare issues affecting animal shelters. Few opportunities currently exist for students to immerse themselves in graduate-level coursework within this emerging area of expertise.
Students will learn how to:
- Prevent and manage infectious diseases common to animal shelters.
- Conduct a veterinary forensic investigation.
- Prevent and modify behavior and welfare issues common to animal shelters.
- Assess shelter practices against ASV Guidelines for Standards of Care in Animal Shelters.
- Review the scientific literature to determine whether shelter practices are evidence based.
- Protect public health and safety due to dangerous animals and zoonotic diseases.
- Review the adequacy of a business plan created for a non-profit organization.
- Communicate effectively with shelter stakeholders about best practices for shelter operations.
Who Is It For?
Your online classmates will include:
- Veterinary students
- Pre-veterinary students
- Shelter medicine residents and interns
- Veterinary technicians
- Shelter administrators
- Shelter operations staff
- Animal welfare professionals