- January 8, 2018
You have four opportunities to begin the program each year.
For our annual academic calendar and application deadline information, please contact an Academic Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The standards described below apply to ALL students—domestic and international. ADDITIONAL requirements apply to international applicants.
The University of Florida is one of the most well-regarded and respected institutions of higher learning in the world, with a Top 50 ranking nationally, a Top 100 ranking globally and a Top 20 ranking for public colleges (U.S. News & World Report). UF offers online and on-campus master’s degrees in sport management that reflect this level of academic excellence and the University’s achievements in the area of sport. Full-time professors in the College of Health and Human Performance teach both programs, and admissions standards for students are equally stringent.
Ideal candidates for the online Master of Science in Sport Management will have:
- Graduated from an accredited college or university with a minimum 3.0 grade-point average (GPA) for all undergraduate coursework beyond 60 credit hours
- Attained a satisfactory score on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)
- The Department of Tourism, Recreation and Sport Management (TRSM) compares applicant scores and makes decisions based on the applicant pool. There is no minimum required score for domestic students.
- GRE scores are only valid for five years from the date the test was taken.
- An exemption for GMAT or GRE may be granted if you have earned a previous graduate or professional degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution.
- Gained experience in the sport industry
All candidates will demonstrate:
- Strong interest in the sport industry
- Clear short- and long-term career goals
Holistic Admissions Process – Conditional Admission
The Admission Committee takes a holistic approach to evaluating applicants, which means that committee members consider the whole person and value well-rounded individuals.
If you fall short of one or more of the standards listed above, the department may admit you into the program based on the strength of your overall application. A high GRE/GMAT score, for example, may offset a GPA that is slightly below 3.0. Similarly, participation in college athletics or strong letters of recommendation may be acceptable substitutes for professional sport industry experience.
As part of the application, all candidates must submit:
- Three letters of recommendation, at least two of which must be from academic sources, e.g., professors, instructors, academic advisors, or others who can speak to your performance inside the classroom
- Statement of Purpose for applying to the degree program at UF
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Two sets of official transcripts from all previous colleges (if not in English, send official English translations with the original language transcripts): One set of official transcripts for the UF Office of Admissions and the other set for the Department.
- Test Scores (GRE/GMAT)
Codes for GRE/GMAT Test Score Submission
The University of Florida school submission code: 5812.
- Codes for GRE/GMAT Test Score Submission
- Application Fee
Each application requires a nonrefundable $35 application fee in U.S. currency. Online applicants may use credit cards. If paying by credit card, a $1.75 service fee will automatically be added to the $30 fee–for a total payment of $36.75.
If payment is sent by mail, include a fee cover sheet obtained from an Academic Coordinator. The $35 check must be drawn on a U.S. bank and made payable to the University of Florida.
The application will not be processed without the application fee, and no fee waivers or postponements will be granted.
ADDITIONAL materials are required from international applicants. For more information about International Admission, click here.
Instructions for Statement of Purpose
All applicants are expected to provide a thoughtful and thorough Statement of Purpose. A strong Statement may offset deficiencies in other areas of the application, and a weak one may diminish an otherwise strong application. Please review the information below and contact an Academic Coordinator if you have any questions.
Your Statement of Purpose should describe in detail:
- Why you are interested in the University of Florida’s online Master of Science in Sport Management
- What you hope to learn and gain from the program
- Your long- and short-term career goals and how you plan to achieve them
- Relevant sport experiences and achievements (even if they are listed on your resume)
- Other personal and professional experiences that may translate to the sport industry
- Skills and qualities you bring to the program that will enhance the experience of your classmates
You must submit your application form online. Some supplemental application materials are provided in PDF format and may be submitted via email to an Academic Coordinator.
When you apply to the online master’s in sport management program, you will find our academic programs listed under the College of Health and Human Performance:
Program: Sport Management – Distance Learning
You will submit most of your application material online, but previous colleges and universities and your references may have to submit supplemental material to the following addresses:
- Application form
- Official GRE (Verbal/Quantitative/Writing) or GMAT test scores (direct from testing body)
- Statement of Purpose
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Three letters of recommendation ( Find form here)
PO Box 114000
201 Criser Hall
Gainesville, FL 32611-4000
- Application fee of $35 USD (if not submitted online)
- Official transcripts from all previous colleges (if not in English, send official English translations with the original language transcripts)
MS Online Sport Management Program
PO Box 118208
1864 Stadium Road, 300 Florida Gym
Gainesville, FL 32611-8208
Email the materials to: email@example.com
- Official transcripts from all previous universities and colleges (Non-UF transcripts only)
- Statement of Purpose (if not submitted online)
- Resume or curriculum vitae (if not submitted online)
- Three letters of recommendation ( Find form here)
Processing Your Application Material
You may submit your application any time before the deadline. It takes between a few days and a few weeks for us to process and update your application whether you submit it BEFORE or AFTER we receive your supplemental material (i.e., transcripts, test scores and letters of recommendation). Test scores are sent electronically from the testing agency and can’t be downloaded until AFTER you have submitted your application. We “match” all supplemental material to your application as we receive it.
If the name on your application differs from the name recorded on your supplemental material, there will be a substantial delay in processing your application. If you submit supplemental material close to the submission deadline, there also will be a delay because of the large volume of material being processed at this time.
If you send application material to TRSM via a carrier, e.g., FedEx or USPS, request a tracking number and use it to verify delivery. If the carrier verifies it, we have it. DO NOT directly contact the UF Office of Admissions for verification.
Your UF Academic Coordinator is Here to Help
If you have any questions or need assistance, contact your Academic Coordinator by phone at (877) 665-3860 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Review Timeline
Application deadlines are usually 2 months in advance of the start of a term. Please check with an Academic Coordinator for the application deadline related to your term of interest.
The Admission Committee reviews applications on a rolling basis, but your application MUST BE COMPLETE to be reviewed. We typically review applicant folders for completeness 3 to 8 weeks after the application deadline. We contact you via email if anything is missing from your application, and give you 2 to 3 weeks to submit missing material before we begin the formal review process. If you do not hear from us within approximately 8 weeks of the application deadline, it means that your folder is complete and will be reviewed.
As a general rule, it is best to submit your application as soon as possible.
To learn more about the University of Florida’s online masters in sport management and download a free brochure, fill out the fields below. You can also call (877) 665-3860 to speak to one of our Academic Coordinators about the masters program.
The University of Florida respects your right to privacy. By submitting this form, you consent to receive emails and calls from a representative of the University of Florida, which may include the use of automated technology. Consent is needed to contact you, but is not a requirement to register or enroll.