Department of Computer & Information Science & Engineering
The Department of Computer and Information Science and Engineering (CISE) is concerned with theory, design, development and application of computer systems and information processing techniques.
The department aims to educate undergraduate and graduate students, as well as the broader campus community, in the fundamental concepts of the computing discipline, to create and disseminate computing knowledge and technology, and to use its expertise in computing to help society solve problems.
E301 CSE Building
P.O. Box 116120
Gainesville, FL 32611
Administration & Advising
Juan E. Gilbert
The Banks Preeminence Chair in Engineering
What do Computer Engineers do?
Computer engineers apply the principles of computer science and mathematical analysis to the design, development, testing and evaluation of the software and systems that make computers work. This discipline evolves quickly, reflecting new areas of specialization or changes in technology. They’re involved in the design and development of many types of software, operating systems and network distribution, and compilers. A core team may comprise engineering, marketing, manufacturing, and design people, who work together to release a product.
Source: U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics
In order to train health profession students on communication and interpersonal skills, members of the Virtual Experiences Research Group have built a virtual patient system that simulates a standardized patient encounter. In the 10-minute session, the student speaks, gestures, and can touch the virtual patient to practice a patient-doctor interview. More than 450 people have used the system at three universities.
Schools & Departments
- Engineering School of Sustainable Infrastructure & Environment
- Department of Agricultural & Biological Engineering
- J. Crayton Pruitt Family Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Computer & Information Science & Engineering
- Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Department of Industrial & Systems Engineering
- Department of Materials Science & Engineering
- Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
- Degree Programs
- Student Affairs
- Distance & Continuing Education