The Reading and Writing Development Center, formerly the Educational Child Study Center, was officially established in the fall of 1956 by order of the Board of Trustees.
Throughout the years, the program of graduate education for the development of reading specialists has been closely tied to the Center and has grown to be one of the most respected graduate programs within Ohio and the Midwest.
The role of the Center is well-established and highly regarded, both as a supplemental educational agency that provides consultative, diagnostic, and tutorial services in reading and writing and as a practicum center for graduate programs in literacy education. The primary function of the Center is to provide a diagnostic/instructional facility for the professional education and development of students who are pursuing graduate programs in literacy education.
In support of the graduate education of reading and writing specialists, the Center provides diagnostic evaluations and instructional services for limited numbers of school-aged students and adults referred because of perceived reading and reading-related difficulties. In this function, the Center serves as a supportive educational agency to school and community.
In addition to the primary functions, the Center also supports research, development, and service activities, as reflected in the submission of grants for external funding and active relationships with school districts requesting workshops and other forms of consultation in the area of literacy education.
Center activities, therefore, revolve around the following priorities:
Open the original version of this page.