Joseph S. Jackson
Legal Skills Professor
Joseph Jackson is a Legal Skills Professor at the University of Florida’s Levin College of Law where he has been on the faculty since 1995. His expertise lies in the fields of gay rights, freedom of expression, and equal protection. Prior to joining UF, Jackson worked in private practice in both Arizona and Florida, and was a mental health law fellow at the University of Virginia Institute of Law, Psychiatry and Public Policy.
Jackson has published articles on gay rights and equal protection in the UCLA Law Review and The Encyclopedia of Family Studies, and an article on children’s rights in the Wake Forest Law Review. His current research focuses on the origins of the gay rights clause of the South African Constitution.
Jackson earned his A.B. degree from Princeton University and his J.D. degree from the University of Florida.
A.B., Princeton University
J.D., University of Florida
Teaching and Scholarship
Legal Research & Writing, Appellate Advocacy,
Equal Protection / Constitutional Law
- U.F. faculty since 1995. Fellow in Mental Health Law, University of Virginia Institute of Law, Psychiatry and Public Policy (1997-98); Principal staff writer, Center for Civic Education, California (1992-95); Private practice, Florida and Arizona (1982-92).
- The Florida Bar (Member, Public Interest Law Section Committee on Homelessness), Order of the Coif
- First half of a two-part course, both required for graduation. Includes emphasis on written legal analysis and preparation of predictive legal memoranda.
- As a continuation of LAW 5792, a factual situation is presented to the student by means of a hypothetical appellate record. The record is the basis for the preparation of an appellate brief and oral arguments.
- “Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA)” in The Encyclopedia of Family Studies (Wiley-Blackwell, 2015)
- “The Parentless Child’s Right to a Permanent Family” (with Lauren Fasig), 46 Wake Forest L. Rev. 1 (2011) [ SSRN]
- Amicus Briefs: Pareto v. Ruvin (forthcoming) (Fla. 3d DCA). In re Adoption of D.P.P. (Fla. 5th DCA 2014). D.M.T. v T.M.H., No. SC12-261 (pending in the Supreme Court of Florida) [involving parental rights of same-sex couple] Fla. Dept. of Children & Families v. In re Adoption of X.X.G. & N.R.G., 45 So. 3d 79 (Fla. 3d DCA 2012) [involving ban on gay adoption]